Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 59 of 78 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Default Re: Show us your sites!

jodilyn13

I like your use of the images and the textured notes for the writing!

Great work!

Ernesto
    Last edited by esanabri; 03 June 2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: (missed to address jodilyn13)
    IP

Here is my first Web Designer site (and pretty much my first ever proper site, as previous attempts have used Google sites)

www.davidcordingly.com

I did this as a present for my father, who is an author, and has wanted a website for a long time.

Any thoughts on it would be much appreciated.

Mat
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Gasman View Post
    I did this as a present for my father, who is an author, and has wanted a website for a long time.
    I imagine that your father will be very happy with the result (and your efforts). It looks very nice. I find your approach creative and effective.

I wouldn't be surprised though if over time you would add certain things to it, e.g, links to available videos or the various museums he worked for. Or perhaps a time line that shows the periods your father focused on as a maritime historian. Or some reviews of his books. Or whatever else would make your father's efforts come to life even more. This website could be an ongoing project...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Gasman View Post
    http://="http://www.davidcordingly.c...dcordingly.com
    I agree, a clever idea.
    You could have saved time and file size by using one JPEG photo of the book spines instead of slicing them into separate PNG books. Transparent rectangles could be used instead to activate the popups.

Also I couldn't read some of the titles very easily so you could have it typed out in text under the pop-up.
    True love is the ultimate truth
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by esanabri View Post
    jodilyn13
    I like your use of the images and the textured notes for the writing!
    I found the notes irritating as the paper is not square nor is the text justified to to paper edge.
    IP

Gasman - nice job. I like the use of the row of books and their larger images. I agree that these could be sharper images, but the idea and execution good - it doesn't feel awkward.

I've noticed a lot of sites that have popups in unusual unexpected places that come up quite large on the screen and are wierd to get around. Sort of a "using technology for technology's sake" situation. When I first saw the things that could be done with popup layers, I first had to restrain my excitement of their coolness and think about how they could be effectively integrated into the design and flow of a site, rather than just being a cool popup thing. Your site uses the popups tastefully, to me.

One other receommendation - when you click "buy book" have that Amazon page come up in another tab/window so when they leave there, they come back to his website.

Nice job. Hope he likes it.
    Last edited by slavelle; 04 June 2009 at 02:42 PM. Reason: fixed a possessive :)
    IP

Hi Folks,

This is my first effort using XWD, hope you like it.

http://www.duffieldderbyshire.co.uk

Cheers,

DuffieldX
    IP

Thank you all for your great advice.

Boy : I think you are right that it will be an ongoing project. It definitely needs more reviews, and I like the idea of a time-line.

salaam : I have actually constructed just as you suggested - a background JPEG, with transparent rectangles over it. I am glad that is a reasonable approach. You are absolutely right about the text - it should pop up with the cover, clarifying the book title before you click.

slavelle : I agree with you about the sharpness of the images. The originals looked fantastic before I 'JPEGed' them. My computer kept running out of memory because WD was storing the original photos - all of which I had taken on my cannon EOS. To solve this I went through all the photos pressing the 'export as JPEG' icon, and then exhanging that picture for the original. Unfortunately there is a terrific loss of quality in those JPEGs. I wonder if you can alter the quality that it exports at - I may have to experiment. On a different note - the amazon links should definitely open in a new window, I shall change that shortly.

Thank you all again,

Mat

PS Site going down very well with my Dad!
    Last edited by Gasman; 04 June 2009 at 06:09 PM. Reason: grammar
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by DuffieldX View Post
    This is my first effort using XWD, hope you like it.
    http://www.duffieldderbyshire.co.uk
    Now that's weird; drop down menus which come all at once. I have never seen that before. It might catch on.
    I am not sure about the white spaces below the banners.
    Apart from that a nice clean site.
    IP

The simultaneous drop-down menus are like an instant site map!
    IP