Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default Leaving XWD Because of Immense Frustration

I am Leaving Xara Web Designer... because of the massive frustration I am having with the program... and its idiosyncrasies.... and jumbled workarounds... and conflicting information here on the forums.

I have spent over 80 hours trying to make a fairly simple web site with cascading menus. Ive actually paid people to help me with Xara and their work has been as unpredictable as the program, and Ive had several people kind enough to try to help me off-line..and "Thank You" to them....but to no avail...My web site is dead, unworkable and unstable.

I am NOT COMING BACK till Xara makes a corporate commitment to make a comprehensive, bulletproof, non-assuming, easy to understand, not missing any steps, explaining it all, beginners TRAINING VIDEO on how to master its menu buttons, rollovers, popups and ESPECIALLY its cascading menu methodology with the 10 rules you must implement to make it work.

I am tired of workarounds, mis-information, corrections, and temporarily wrong information. There are a large number of very dedicated, helpful, and intelligent people working with integrity here in the forum...but I dont think I can take working with XWD any further till the company comes out with a major fix release or some training that doesnt talk over our heads like this all works just simply fine...and forgets to tell us 5 steps in between that MUST be followed...

Ill be back maybe in a month maybe...after I have cooled down with the frustrations with V5.01 of this software...and the jumble of well meaning unsuccessful workarounds.

Suzzie

Default Re: Leaving XWD Because of Immense Frustration

Hello Suzzie,

I only use XWD to make multiple, templates or websites to show my cutomers and then work it out with an other programm like dreamweaver.

XWD is fantastic to quikley make graphics, bannerads headings, buttons, and even menu's. Althoug I don't use menus often because of the SEO.
    SE have difficulties to index you pages when using pre build menu's.

So my advice is to use it for graphics, and building templates or previeuws for your customers.

Don't turn your back to XWD. It's great and cheap ....

Hello Suzzie,

I'm sure that if you upload your .web file and tell us in more details what your problems are that people will step in and help you to solve them.
    Regards, Albert G. Kubbenga

Suzzie, your experience seems very much at odds with the vast majority of XWD users.

Attaching a current .web file will allow forum members to help move you forward in your design efforts. Some issues just can't be resolved without an independent voice (or set of external perspectives). Personally, I'm happy to offer what I can to help you through whatever problems you might be experiencing (sounds like navigation issues).

Suzzie,
    It is easy to get frustrated with computing! I think it would be fair to say, we have all been there! I would encourage you to take up the kind offers of forum members to help you.
    My concern is where you are going wrong in XWD because the templates supplied give you ample scope to make a simple web page and upload it.
    If you switch to another programme you will have the same trouble and probably more.
    Give it another go.
    Rupert

Thanks all for your kind words of encouragement. I have been unable to make cascading navigation bars that work and look good. I tried using ones from the gallery and modifying them...and from what I have read that may be some of the challenge.

Between templates, and dragging, and aligning, and ungrouping, and changing type, and re-aligning, and making layers, and making links, and making certain kinds of special layers, and moving, and naming conventions, and popups, and rollovers, and soft grouping, and grouping, and repeating, and updating...its all been a bit too much for me...ive spent nearly 2 weeks of self learning here and with the help file trying to make it work successfully and be stable. Some seem to say here that navigation buttons are conceptually easy to do...not in my case.

I must apologize...I DO think that there is a lot of great things in XWD... and the idea is brilliant, but until the factory comes up with an update addressing these distinct critical 17 steps in button production...or makes a comprehensive, miss no steps video...then ive got to cut my bait and stop fishing. All im trying to do is make 8 rollover nav buttons and 5 of them have sub menus in them of 2, 3 and 5 levels under them... linking to other pages. For the life of me...ive spent hours, and hours, and hours, trying to get them to work successfully without any ultimate success.

Thanks for all your encouragement...maybe after I have cooled down a bit...ill come back here briefly and see whats up. I wrote a letter to support this weekend...ill see what they have to say as well.

Cheers,

Suzzie

In these kinds of situations I usually take a step back and make a small example to show that what I'm trying to do will or will not work. When I've done that I can either get it to work and understand where I've gone wrong or I can pass it to the community for help.

That may help you more. If you showed what one of your menus should look like, I'm sure you'd get some help, also.

Paul

I'm currently taking a few minutes to create a very simple looking navigation system that has Suzzie's eight buttons — five of which will have drop-down menus. I'll post the final .web file, and will write up step by step documentation on how to replicate the same.

Will post again after a little while ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_temp.jpg 
Views:	1344 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	62588  
    Last edited by cursor; 22 June 2009 at 04:22 PM.

Since there is a 5000 character limit to the length of a single post, the navbar tutorial that I'm writing will have to be broken into multiple posts. The first part will handle the creation of the first eight button. The second part will explain how to use popup layers (and their companion rollover layers) to build drop-down menus. The third and final section will show a more efficient proceedure for batch processing the layer changes.

I've attached the .web file to this post.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by cursor; 22 June 2009 at 09:09 PM.