Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Some bugs in Xtreme 3.2

Here is another very annoying bug in Xtreme 3.2. I've recognized often, that Xtreme deletes words, group of words or letters from text-objects after saving a document several times.

The current release is by far the most buggy I know. I am very sorry to say this, but your developers haven't done a good work.

It begins with the installation of Xtreme itself. I don't know why you force the user to install wmv9? Me for myself do not want that sh**. Btw, the installation folder for this is fixed to "program files\...", but on foreign systems the folder has other names, so it would be better to use system-variables for the installation-folder. This behavior isn't fixed for at least the last 3 or 4 releases.

Another strange behavior is the fact, that snap to grid AND guide-lines do not work together. When you are on a guid-line, snap to grid does not work anymore. This is not a new bug, but there the last several releases.

Zoom with mouse-wheel is much, much slower in 3.2 now. I have got Xtreme for its quickness a couple of years ago, but this benefit is gone - what a shame!

I have a suggestion too: The dialog-box, which pops-up, when you about to close a altered document is not Windows-conformably. It says:

Do you want to save your changes to '...'?
    Save Don't save Cancel Help

It would be better to change the button-text in:
    Yes No Cancel Help

like in all the other Windows-software.

Please excuse my english - this is not my native language.

Default Re: Some bugs in Xtreme 3.2

I'm guessing the WMV9 install is necessary for the video help. I'd also prefer these kind of things to be optional (at least give an option not to create a start menu entry for it - people don't need the unnecessary clutter).

I prefer Xara's dialog box to the standard Windows one. If the button says "Yes" you have to read the message to find out what will happen when you click it. If it says "Save" you know exactly what will happen without having to read anything else.

I agree with you on using System Variables for the Program Files. Can't comment on anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by UserFriendly View Post
    I prefer Xara's dialog box to the standard Windows one. If the button says "Yes" you have to read the message to find out what will happen when you click it. If it says "Save" you know exactly what will happen without having to read anything else.
    I agree, Xara's method is much better, faster and more intuitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dón|Olivierč View Post
    Here is another very annoying bug in Xtreme 3.2. I've recognized often, that Xtreme deletes words, group of words or letters from text-objects after saving a document several times.
    I spent a lot of time trying to identify the cause of this bug. I succeeded and sent it to Xara who tell me it’s now fixed. This is a lesson for people: if you find a bug, find a way to reproduce it and tell Xara, it will be fixed. Merely letting it upset you fixes nothing.

Another strange behavior is the fact, that snap to grid AND guide-lines do not work together. When you are on a guid-line, snap to grid does not work anymore. This is not a new bug, but there the last several releases.
    It wasn’t very clear at first what you meant, so I did some investigating, and I realised what you mean. If you drag with say the rectangle tool along a guideline when snap to grid is on, the grid snapping stops. I’ll report it.

Zoom with mouse-wheel is much, much slower in 3.2 now. I have got Xtreme for its quickness a couple of years ago, but this benefit is gone - what a shame!
    The rendering speed of Xara has not decreased with this release. If by slower you mean the incremental zoom factor increase per mouse wheel notch has decreased, then that was intended – to make it smoother. I personally much prefer it.

I have a suggestion too: The dialog-box, which pops-up, when you about to close a altered document is not Windows-conformably. It says:

Do you want to save your changes to '...'?
    Save Don't save Cancel Help

It would be better to change the button-text in:
    Yes No Cancel Help

like in all the other Windows-software.
    I raised this issue on the forums once, and didn’t like the idea that Xara went against the grain. After their feedback, and some thought on my behalf, I’ve had a reversion for the better, and don’t like yes/no dialogues anymore, for the reasons outlined in that thread.

This bug affecting contoured text is still present in Xtreme Pro 3.2

http://talkgraphics.com/attachment.p...1&d=1135038738

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    I raised this issue on the forums once, and didn’t like the idea that Xara went against the grain. After their feedback, and some thought on my behalf, I’ve had a reversion for the better, and don’t like yes/no dialogues anymore, for the reasons outlined in that thread.
    Now that was an interesting thread [ in more ways than one] that I don't recall reading before

Irony for me in this is I don't care what it says, just to long as the order is the same - its software where 'discard' comes before 'keep' that I find really tiresome...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    This bug affecting contoured text is still present in Xtreme Pro 3.2

http://talkgraphics.com/attachment.p...1&d=1135038738
    I remember this one.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Now that was an interesting thread [ in more ways than one] that I don't recall reading before
    Yes, that one got quite heated. I wonder where some of these characters are these days?
    Last edited by Xhris; 20 June 2007 at 11:41 PM.