Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Rules on Repeating Nav Bars - Inconsistent Results

Xhris,

I agree.

Its amazing that Xara had the absolutely BEST Nav Bar Creation Program on the planet just a few years back.

I appreciate your helping me (US all) uncover hidden rules...and Im especially excited to see your videos. Thanks for doing them. I used Cursors Videos over a period of 5 weeks as I struggled, and struggled, to get functioning multi-tab, multi-level Nav Bars.

I may have discovered something...but im not sure yet if it works. I clicked the universal "select all layers" button on the layers pallet (not the visibility one) and then regular selected the nav bar...and the repeat seemed to work...at least for now.

My fingers are crossed. Let you know.

Thanks

Suzzie

Xris:

I looked on Y-Tube and noticed the videos you did on making nav bars. I did not see a video on how to start the navbar from scratch. Your videos show nav bars already made and you continue explaining what to do after the fact. Do you have a video how to start the bars from the beginning?
    Thank you,
    Sheila

Hi Xhris:

I found your beginning video on navigation bars (WOW!!) this was explained very clearly and I feel I have accomplished so much just looking at your video.

I am having a problem with the drop down menu under links. Can you explain where I went wrong and how to fix it? When you click on links the menu bar should come up with the link and I wanted a different color when you hoover over it.

I will be looking at the other videos one by one as I go to the next phase

Again, Xhris thanks so much.
    Sheila
    Attached Files Attached Files

I've been having a very similar problem. When I "update repeating objects" parts of my horizontal menu disappear at random. I have deleted all named objects and the names themselves then rebuilt the menu but I cannot get rid of the error. Strangely the file exports ok (mostly) sometimes it converts round bevels to flat bevels. Save/Exit/Reload brings back the missing buttons (until the next repeating object update). Cue "Twilight Zone" signature tune.

I have to mention that I've had some inconsistent operating also. I will have a certain button function work for a while and then without explanation cease to work. Very confusing at times.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

I appear to have solved my problems with these repeating objects. I renamed the menu from "Repeating:AutoRepeat7" to "Repeating:horizontalmenu" and things seem to be behaving normally again. This may be a problem with only automatically named repeating objects. File available for devs if required.

Hope this helps anyone else with this frustrating quirk

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila
    I did not see a video on how to start the navbar from scratch.
    Listed here is reference to the video tutorials that I've created for "from-scratch" navbar creation in Xara Web Designer:
    1. 1btn_dropdown.wmv
    2. 2btn_dropdown.wmv
    3. 2btn_dropdown_2.wmv
    4. 3btn_dropdown.wmv
    5. 4btn_dropdown.wmv
    6. 4btn_dropdown_fly-out.wmv
    It is intended that they be viewed in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila
    When you click on links the menu bar should come up with the link and I wanted a different color when you hoover over it.
    The tutorial videos above should help you with your problem, Sheila.

Looking at your .web file, I see that you're not using the MouseOver layer at all. To get the affect that you want for the Link button:
    • Select the text, then Ungroup it.
    • Select both the Link text and its rectangle. The status line should read "2 objects on layer MouseOff".
    • Ctrl+C (Copy).
    • Activate the MouseOver layer in the Layer Gallery by mouse-clicking on the layer name..
    • Ctrl+Shift+V (Paste in place)
    • Hit the Esc key to deselect.
    • Mouse-click the background rectange. The status line should read "1 rectangle on layer MouseOver".
    • Change its fill color to something different.
    • Make the MouseOff layer invisible and locked.
    • Select the Link button elements. The status line should read "2 objects on layer MouseOver".
    • Ctrl+G (Group)
    • Make the MouseOver layer invisible and locked.
    • Make the MouseOff layer visible and unlocked.
    • Select the Link button elements. The status line should read "2 objects on layer MouseOff".
    • Ctrl+G (Group)
    • Make the MouseOver layer visible and unlocked.
    • Select all button elements. The status line should read "2 groups on 2 layers".
    • Apply Soft Group
    • Assign a link at Web Properties > Link [tab] > Link to page
    • Preview and test.
    Last edited by cursor; 26 August 2009 at 05:03 PM. Reason: repaired link

Curtis I'm getting a link error for #4. It appears you have duplicated the post number for the thread numbers.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks for pointing that out, Bill. I've fixed the link.

You can probably delete these last two posts.