Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Re: I was all excited until......

The thing is, as I mentioned before, this would be terribly easy to implement. In effect, it's just an UI enhancement.

The eraser tool would basically work exactly like the pencil tool internally, but instead of inserting the drawn shape, it would just automatically execute the substract operation.

Well
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

Quote Originally Posted by instinctive.de View Post
    this would be terribly easy to implement
    Is it? Well, there are sources of the XaraLX available so you can show us how to do it.
    John.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I have no idea how easy or difficult it would be to add an eraser but from a freehand drawing stand point it would go hand in hand with the new pressure sensitivity and sketch mode features. Many tablets have pens that can be turned upside down to use an eraser function (just like a pencil) Just think an eraser with pressure sensitivity now that would be cool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Is it? Well, there are sources of the XaraLX available so you can show us how to do it.
    Sorry, I already did that extensively with Blender, however, I found open-source coding for free not very rewarding, so I eventually gave up on it.

If you tell me the major implementation obstacles I'm overlooking, I'd be all ears
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

Sorry, I already did that extensively with Blender
    Oh, so now you know all the code in the world?
    If you tell me the major implementation obstacles I'm overlooking
    I don't find explaining you the Camelot code anything near to easy. And you say it is "terribly easy to implement" for you. So it is much easier for you to just implement it. Right?
    John.

Was I wrong with my statement that basically, all that Xtreme would have to do is

1. Act as if the eraser tool was the pencil tool
    2. Select all shapes underneith and touched by the last drawn stroke, and then execute the "Substract" function

?
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

Was I wrong with my statement that basically, all that Xtreme would have to do is
    You are wrong assuming that these two very generalized ideas are "terribly easy to implement" on practice. I don't find it terribly easy to implement. Unless my understanding of the term "terribly easy" is somewhat incorrect.
    It is certainly terribly easy to understand what it is supposed to do, but there is a huge difference between the concept and it's implementation.
    I would appreciate if you don't do such far going conclusions without having any remote understanding of the code in question. Most people reading this forum are not programmers at all and they can be confused by this.
    John.

OK. Maybe I'm just a bad programmer then I had several of these situations when I was still working on Blender - I had an idea, thought it was "terribly easy" to implement, and then just implemented it and committed to CVS. A few weeks or months later, someone else removed it and committed a "cleaner version". That took much longer to implement, but well. I'm just too impatient. Sorry
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

It seems like they forgot to add the anti-aliasing feature in Xara Developer Pro 6. I am getting mangled fonts.

I took a standard Arial font, added bold and italics and this is what I got.

http://www.secondstorywine.com/mangledxara.gif

Am I the only one or are others experiencing the same issue?

I did the same thing with Xara Xtreme Pro 5 and it handled it perfectly.

You didn't by any chance set the view quality to lower than 3 or 4?
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks