@ everyone

Yes, our delivery model is different to what it was before the Update Service was introduced at v12. Our FAQ describes it as accurately as possible as it now stands. The content is now in the Online Content Catalog, which is not available after the Update Service expires. When you purchase you are buying the software version available on that day, plus access to updates. If you do not want access to updates after that date because you might lose them after a reinstall when your Update Service expires, then I recommend you don’t download them; instead wait until you see updates that you really want and then renew again – pretty much what you used to do before the Update Service!

Someone made the useful suggestion that the FAQ should be more prominent in TG. Good point, I will make it so. I will also review the content on our sites to see if there is something more we could do to overcome the expectations of anyone upgrading pre-v12 versions that the model will be exactly what it was before (without confusing people who have no idea that there ever was a different model!)

On the Update Service I don't think I've got anything left to say that hasn't already been said. Please don't think this is because I am refusing to listen to feedback. A lot of the feedback has been constructive and all of it heartfelt, but responses were compiled and summarized for Magix from the very first threads after the US was released, and not many new suggestions have been posted since. The Update Service is the model that Magix use to deliver all their titles, and clearly they have balanced the Fors (as expressed by browj2) vs the Againsts (as expressed by Acorn, handrawn et al) along with the hard evidence presented by sales. There have been some tweaks but as yet I see no evidence that they plan a major change as a result, although after 30 years experience all I know for sure is that no model is permanent 😊

Kate @ Xara