Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Hipster Theme/Template??

The Hipster site was never a template in the first place, it was a demo site created by one of our developers to show off what Xara V11 can do. There's an awful lot more involved in creating templates for the purpose of other users downloading them.

I have never understood the thinking about templates supplied with WYSIWYG software. From experience all a template does is confuse a beginner and does not really allow them to learn the software inside out, whereas starting from a blank page forces one to not only learn to a far higher degree but also end up with a more original design. Also if the templates must be supplied then surely they can be better designed, this hipster website seems to be liked by many people yet is not available to the users. When I was still using webdesigner daily I tried to see if there was a demand for high quality templates for it but the discussion sort of tailed off.

I know I always seem to make a comparison with adobe muse these days but as I have created many websites with both I believe I am in a position to comment; Adobe muse has thousands of templates out there and the vast majority are amazing, for instance themeforest has 652 at the time of this post and top ones have sold in the hundreds, so there is a demand for templates for WYSIWYG software.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
    I have never understood the thinking about templates supplied with WYSIWYG software. From experience all a template does is confuse a beginner and does not really allow them to learn the software inside out, whereas starting from a blank page forces one to not only learn to a far higher degree but also end up with a more original design. Also if the templates must be supplied then surely they can be better designed, this hipster website seems to be liked by many people yet is not available to the users. When I was still using webdesigner daily I tried to see if there was a demand for high quality templates for it but the discussion sort of tailed off.

I know I always seem to make a comparison with adobe muse these days but as I have created many websites with both I believe I am in a position to comment; Adobe muse has thousands of templates out there and the vast majority are amazing, for instance themeforest has 652 at the time of this post and top ones have sold in the hundreds, so there is a demand for templates for WYSIWYG software.
    Cloud,

I am one who develops sites from scratch, but I don't agree templates are confusing and not useful. Have you seen websites designed by "non-designers"? That alone justifies the need for templates.

Nuff said...
    Frank O

I am one who develops sites from scratch, but I don't agree templates are confusing and not useful. Have you seen websites designed by "non-designers"? That alone justifies the need for templates.

But have you also seen the templates, they look like they too were designed by 'non' designers. If as Rob says "The Hipster site was never a template in the first place, it was a demo site created by one of our developers", then who designs the templates? they are very dated to say the least and don't seem to follow any current (or indeed past) design conventions. And as Rob also says in the same sentence "to show off what Xara V11 can do" then surely they would want the templates to show off as well.

But have you also seen the templates, they look like they too were designed by 'non' designers. If as Rob says "The Hipster site was never a template in the first place, it was a demo site created by one of our developers", then who designs the templates? they are very dated to say the least and don't seem to follow any current (or indeed past) design conventions. And as Rob also says in the same sentence "to show off what Xara V11 can do" then surely they would want the templates to show off as well.
    Touché Cloud... I can't disagree with you on the templates. I didn't see any in the New templates that incorporate the "Stretchy" feature which is part of what makes the "Hipster" sample so cool. I'm trying to remember the guy that designs and sells some really nice Xara Web Designer templates. Very modern and cutting-edge. Dang, I can't remember who the guy is. Anyway, I'll be happy to see what he comes up with given the nifty new features in XWD11P.

EDIT: I remember now... xaratemplates.com. He's actually got some XWD11P templates for sale already.

Frank O

I agree 100% with you and out of the new templates in this new version those 2 sites that are not included as templates are the ones that interest me the most. Also most of the included templates are very dated as mentioned. I'm not new to design, but I am new to web design software. I must confess that I have bought every version from 7 up to 10, but to this day I have only created a (generic template) landing page for my business. I seem to have developed a learning disability due to my many illnesses.

May I suggest a video tutorial of how to build this site (Hipster) from scratch? I know it may sound lazy, but it's only way I can come close to processing info anymore. Kind of like don't build it for me, but teach me how to build it. If such a tutorial exist, kindly post the link for me.

I did mention in my post that it was a template supplied by a third party and folivio is correct in naming such party. Also note, that website I created (edited) is responsive as well, check it out by narrowing your browser window or viewing it on a smartphone. http://www.saddlerscourtmfg.com/vertical/

I think member 'cloud' designs the best websites seen on these forums, but they are not Xara-built. And hats off to him as i think he is a 'real' designer. Most of us on this forum really create websites for our own companies, families, friends etc and do not have the training nor skills to produce a modern looking website. Those of us who make websites for a business, often do not charge as much as true web designers and that offers our clients a cheaper option. I understand a website like Marks & Spencer might cost 150 million pounds, (really, check it out) and it takes a lot of work and resources, but for the average business that needs a web presence, they come to us for something affordable. If a lot of time and effort is taken away from designing from scratch and having a decent starting point, (with a good template) then everybody in my camp wins.
    So as much as we CAN do more and more original stuff with Xara, it is really handy to have a good starting point, and to, hopefully, impress the potential client with a pretty good looking design fairly quickly and early in the early negotiations. I have actually created a single page website with Xara BEFORE a customer asks me and I have sent them the demo and won a couple of orders that way. I could not afford to do that under any other circumstances.
    I love using Xara and feel in full control, (most of the time) but the templates offered with version 11 are not very good at all, and they would not have drawn me to buy the upgrade, but the demo certainly did.
    Here is another example of website designed using Xara that does not look anything like a Xara template. http://www.britresource.com/ << (not responsive yet)

I think member 'cloud' designs the best websites seen on these forums, but they are not Xara-built.
    Firstly Thank you so much for that complement Andy. All the websites I have designed and posted here have been created with xara webdesigner, in total I have designed over 200 sites with xara (most can not be posted here as per the clients instructions) some of these have now been replaced with ones created in adobe muse for different reasons. It is good to see the templates over at http://xaratemplates.com, perhaps xara could contact them to design the templates

It is good to see the templates over at http://xaratemplates.com, perhaps xara could contact them to design the templates
    Rather ironic that he doesn't use Xara Web Designer for his site though...