Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: The Book of Csehz

The technique I use, whether it's a Xara extrusion or a full 3D model, is to use a very light gray color on the model only. Then, in Xara, I create photorealistic images cut to fit the given perspective to each face of geometry on the model, and then given a 'stain-glass' transparency so you can see the geometry beneath it. So for your book and pedestal, I'd, as said, used a very light color (not white as you want to be able to see geometry, if theres no shading, you can't see it). Then used a marble texture on the pedestral. For the book, I'd place a leather texture on the exposed book cover, white or parchment colored paper with text typed on it (text on a curve) at an appropriate scale for the size of the book (so it would be unreadable at your images current scale) and possibly included page illustration.

Even in expensive 3D applications where fully fitted textures are used, its usually very difficult and complex task. So I cheat by applying textures in Xara, as described above.

Thanks for the tips Gameprinter, much appreciated.

Stygg

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    The technique I use, whether it's a Xara extrusion or a full 3D model, is to use a very light gray color on the model only. Then, in Xara, I create photorealistic images cut to fit the given perspective to each face of geometry on the model, and then given a 'stain-glass' transparency so you can see the geometry beneath it. So for your book and pedestal, I'd, as said, used a very light color (not white as you want to be able to see geometry, if theres no shading, you can't see it). Then used a marble texture on the pedestral. For the book, I'd place a leather texture on the exposed book cover, white or parchment colored paper with text typed on it (text on a curve) at an appropriate scale for the size of the book (so it would be unreadable at your images current scale) and possibly included page illustration.

Even in expensive 3D applications where fully fitted textures are used, its usually very difficult and complex task. So I cheat by applying textures in Xara, as described above.
    Using the technique I described above, I decided to create an accurate 3D model of a crab you'd find in the ocean using Nendo, as an intended map object for my next map symbol set release. As stated the colors were done in Xara, the model in a 3D modeling app (rendered in Raydream Studio).

Enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crab-800.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	101645

Decided I wanted to alter the colors to alter species of crab, without too much a bother. Here's the same basic crab redressed as a "blue crab" in Xara.

Name:	blue-crab-800.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	101653

seeing csehz's excellent chess set reminded me I had done one 'couple of years back' [actually 6 and a half years back ] no extrudes then, it was blends

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...356#post227356

no where near as good, but I though I'd have a good at extruding - unfortunately I no longer have the source file with all the shapes in, so only the rook shape survives, re-did the knight and extruded both... may get round to the others if time allows

these are only abstract representations - might be difficult to play with, make even
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rook-knight.png 
Views:	134 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	101654  

Default Re: Unusual uses for the Extrude tool :)

Very nice examples,

maybe this tip was already mentioned but looks worth to play simply with 1) extrude an object and 2) clone and place over so the same object with a kind of fractal transparency -> with that a different looking or more spicy 'material' can came out (the example is using one of Albacore's metal gradients)

Name:	extr2.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	101656

@handrawn, the pieces might not be too unstable to play with if you make the extrude deep enough, and perhaps don't round the corners so they'd be more prone to tip over.

@Csehz— Very nice look!

My Best,

Gary

Here's a crack I tool at using extrudes as a study for a drawing. File's attached. Feel free to use it in any way you choose—it might make an interesting brush!

Name:	Suits.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	101668
    Attached Files Attached Files

It is just a play but maybe rather unusual, let's extrude a heart on a black background, after moving the extrude lights that only the bevel types would get light and the shape not

Name:	Lights_on_bevels.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	101807

Lights_on_bevel_types.xar