Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Print Screen and paste into Xara ProX image size

I want a high quality screen capture image in Xara.
    On my PC, if I Print Screen then copy into Xara, the image is small with poor quality at 96dpi.
    If I paste the image into Adobe Fireworks its much larger and visually much higher quality. I can then crop the section I want and paste that into Xara and its fine.
    The print screen image in Xara is 1920px x 600px, as this is from dual monitors. In fireworks it pastes in as 3360px x 1050px. In Fireworks the image contents are as sharp as the original on the monitor, whereas the one in Xara is fuzzy and poor.
    I use Xara 99% of the time, apart from this screen capture and batch resizing of images.
    Is there an easier way than this without resorting to Fireworks?

Default Re: Print Screen and paste into Xara ProX image size

Screen captures are just that, screen captures. Windows screen resolution is 96dpi, hence when you do a screen capture, you are capturing every visible pixel on your screen.

Fireworks image is probably larger because it used the Mac screen resolution of 72dpi.But unless Fireworks is using some kind of pixel interpolation scheme, the pixels should be the same.

What are you using the screen capture for?

Gary
    The screen size I copy from is 2 x 1680 x 1050, therefore I would expect an image of 3360 x 1050 which is what I get when pasted into Fireworks. In Xara ProX it is reduced in size considerably, loosing pixels hence definition and clarity. How do I get Xara to past in the size I copied? The number of pixels has nothing to do with dpi as far as I know.IfI enlarge the image in Xara its very poor quality.
    LenW

Quote Originally Posted by lenw View Post
    I want a high quality screen capture image in Xara.
    On my PC, if I Print Screen then copy into Xara, the image is small with poor quality at 96dpi.
    Is there an easier way than this without resorting to Fireworks?
    Take a look at your settings under Utilities/View/Bitmaps and make sure "Import at dpi specified in the image file" is selected. Finish by clicking "Apply".

Problem solved.
    In Xara ProX, on the top menu:
    Utilities > Screen Capture check the shortcode for direct screen capture, Ctrl + Q
    Do Ctrl + Q and it captures as per settings, and if full screen selected I get a bitmap of 3360 x 1050, as it should be.

A PC keyboard print screen and paste seems not to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by lenw View Post
    A PC keyboard print screen and paste seems not to do this.
    Glad you sorted the issue. With regards to pasting the (PC keyboard) screenshot into Designer, check the settings that I described in my previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Glad you sorted the issue. With regards to pasting the (PC keyboard) screenshot into Designer, check the settings that I described in my previous post.
    "Import at dpi specified in the image file" makes no difference at all to the default setting.