Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default DPX9 Does Not Install on XP-Machine

I downloaded the DPX9 32-bit trial to install on my desktop running XP SP3 (fully updated) with all security software disabled. Everything went fine until the "Initializing Program" step at the end of installation. After a few seconds I received an MS-error message, followed by a Xara message that installation was successful, again a similar MS-error message, and, finally, a Xara error message telling me that the program could not be started because of -6 error.

I uninstalled the program and downloaded a new copy of the trial but exactly the same happened. I never had such a problem and DP 6, 7 and X are running fine on this machine. The 64-bit version installed without a hitch on the Windows 7 laptop.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Error message MS.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	97097   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Error message Xara.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	97096  

Default Re: DPX9 Does Not Install on XP-Machine

Hi. I'm sorry to hear you are encountering difficulties with installing the program. Please follow the steps listed at
    http://support.xara.com/index.php?_m...articleid=3061 as this should resolve the problem.

If difficulties continue then please submit a support ticket.

Many thanks

Thanks for the prompt reply but unfortunately the same error messages appear.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    I downloaded the DPX9 32-bit trial to install on my desktop running XP SP3 (fully updated) with all security software disabled. Everything went fine until the "Initializing Program" step at the end of installation. After a few seconds I received an MS-error message, followed by a Xara message that installation was successful, again a similar MS-error message, and, finally, a Xara error message telling me that the program could not be started because of -6 error.

I uninstalled the program and downloaded a new copy of the trial but exactly the same happened. I never had such a problem and DP 6, 7 and X are running fine on this machine. The 64-bit version installed without a hitch on the Windows 7 laptop.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?
    I got the same issue with the 32 bit version on Windows 7. I've tried uninstall/reinstall without success.
    I also initially had the problem with the 64 bit version on Windows 8 but a reinstall/repair seems to have resolved it. Yet to short my Win 7 machine.

you could try [without uninstalling it] re-running the installation program and choosing 'repair' - that worked for me when I got this message - I always make sure I do all this as administrator as well

I actually got this message [maybe a slightly different error number] when I installed pro 9 on win 7, but , sadly, I'm used to this sort of stuff happening with xara didn't even think to mention it before as the 'repair' worked....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    you could try [without uninstalling it] re-running the installation program and choosing 'repair' - that worked for me when I got this message
    That did it! Even though I got the MS error message one more time, DPX9 starts up now and functions well. Thank you so much, handrawn!

Quote Originally Posted by Carrot View Post
    I got the same issue with the 32 bit version on Windows 7. I've tried uninstall/reinstall without success.
    I also initially had the problem with the 64 bit version on Windows 8 but a reinstall/repair seems to have resolved it. Yet to short my Win 7 machine.
    Still no joy. I've tried all the suggestions on win7 PC and still get a code 6. I looked a ticket with Xara ealier in the week but no replies/solutions as yet

Thanks handrawn good to know that