Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Can't drag bitmaps into open Xara file

I just bought Xara Photo & Graphic Designer, and cannot drag bitmaps (jpg, gif, png) from a file manager into an open Xara file. Can't drag them onto the Xara title bar to open them as separate files, either.

Both of these actions worked--still work--in Xara Xtreme Pro 5.

I'm using Windows 7 Enterprise. It happens whether I run Xara as administrator or regular user.

Is this a bug others have run into? If so will it be fixed before the CD goes out?
    ============================================
    James Riemermann
    MN Office of Tourism
    james.riemermann@state.mn.us

For travel info: www.exploreminnesota.com
    IP

Default Re: Can't drag bitmaps into open Xara file

No you should quite easily be able to do it. I know its a pain but I would do a un-install and then a re-install and that should sort the problem out.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by jriemerm View Post
    .... cannot drag bitmaps (jpg, gif, png) from a file manager into an open Xara file..
    Which 'file manager' specifically are you using for this action?

I'll move this thread to the Technical Support forum.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Which 'file manager' specifically are you using for this action?
    I first noticed it with Altap Salamander, a file manager I've used for many years, which in fact seems to have some issues with Windows 7 and all its user account control quirks. But I tried dragging directly from the standard Windows Explorer and still had the problems.

I did try a full uninstall and install as Albacore suggested and after a couple quick tests it may have done the trick. I'll keep an eye open and post back here if the problem re-emerges. Thanks!
    James Riemermann
    MN Office of Tourism
    james.riemermann@state.mn.us

For travel info: www.exploreminnesota.com
    IP

I've tried uninstall and reinstall a couple of times and the problem still persists for me. I know its not a massive problem but it is frustrating keep having to use import and locating your files all the time. And no it still happens even with the shipped CD. Another niggle is constantly having to run as an administrator and the nag that comes with it.

Don't know if it's Xara or my Windows 7 64bit box. Extreme Pro worked seamlessly, maybe it didn't like the name change or something.
    IP

I've finally fixed this problem. uninstalled for third time and then did complete registry check with "Regzooka" to remove all reference to uninstalled programs and empty keys, then reinstalled and hey presto works fine with drag and drop and no Administrator nag. Seems to be a registry problem and residual keys left behind on uninstalls.

So it wasn't the name change after all.

Anyway hope this helps some other poor soul out there.

P.S. Now I can get back to enjoying my favourite illustration package "Xara Extreme Pro" OOPS! sorry "Xara Designer Pro 6". Only joking, I don't care what you call it or the colour of the interface. I even love the website features for prototyping and developing websites which is brilliant and the best time saver ever. Just don't go messing with the features and speed and always remember that it is primarily an illustration package for serious artists and i'll be a happy bunny for years to come.
    IP