Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How to create this kind of video?

I'm not sure that a video recording of a person which plays on-demand is any different to a voice recording of a person which plays on demand.

In general, a video of a person explaining their business/ethos/whatever can invoke a human connection and empathy that the (often badly) written word might fail to do. It's easier to listen to a spoken message than find and read text.

Of course sometimes it doesn't work well or is done badly, but that's just as true for the written word.

People are more likely to engage with people and businesses that relate to them and are "their kind of people". It's been a while since I saw a written advert on the TV and while the web is grounded in text, that is a situation that is changing.

I'm not suggesting every website needs a "talking head", but that it has it's place and can be very effective at drawing in customers. It's not a million miles (conceptually speaking) different to producing an advertising animation as a banner.

Media is changing fast and the web is just part of that. You can even see it here on talkgraphics as more and more Xtreme users are trying to build animations.

This isn't a "right or wrong" issue, it's more a case of "use where appropriate".
    Last edited by pauland; 21 February 2010 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    It's easier to listen to a spoken message
    Yes, but it takes a lot more time and patience to listen up to a point. A well built list of features can provide all the vital information in a couple of seconds. And as we know, most visitors don't stop for more than 5 second if they are not interested in what they see. How much the virtual presenter can say in this time?
    Another side though is that that the presence of this, still considered a fancy effect, can interest many visitors to a point of staying longer than a usual 5 seconds. But even then, the talk should be short enough to fit no more than about 30 secs, because even those who like to watch movies are bored by this time (unless the presenter starts to make some stunts ) and don't pay attention to what it is talking about any more. So the message is not delivered and the longer visitor goes away after the show is over still not aware of what this site was all about.
    Certainly not a good approach to interest any professionals. But very good in hooking kids for the on-line games or whatever else recreational content.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Yes, but it takes a lot more time and patience to listen up to a point. A well built list of features can provide all the vital information in a couple of seconds. And as we know, most visitors don't stop for more than 5 second if they are not interested in what they see. How much the virtual presenter can say in this time?
    The presenter won't be saying anything in that time, because the visitor makes an initial choice based on the appearance and interest generated by the page as a whole not a part of it that probably won't start playing within that time frame.

These videos aren't in competition with the written word, they complement it. They add rather than detract.

Another side though is that that the presence of this, still considered a fancy effect, can interest many visitors to a point of staying longer than a usual 5 seconds. But even then, the talk should be short enough to fit no more than about 30 secs, because even those who like to watch movies are bored by this time (unless the presenter starts to make some stunts ) and don't pay attention to what it is talking about any more. So the message is not delivered and the longer visitor goes away after the show is over still not aware of what this site was all about.
    You make valid points, but really these small banner type videos sit with the text and don't replace them. As you say, short and sweet is often better.

Certainly not a good approach to interest any professionals. But very good in hooking kids for the on-line games or whatever else recreational content.
    You'll have to tell that to the US lawyers and architects that use this technique. I used to have some good examples bookmarked, but a computer change has consigned those to my backup machine. I'll try and find some good examples.

Just like anything else, there's good examples around and awful examples.

Yes Paul, that makes sense.
    I was just describing another point of view.
    John.

This is an are I for one would love to progress into, I can see many online businesses in the future adopting such techniques, to the "average joe" this must seems very cool when visiting a web page.

Saldy I am sure I would need to expand my coding skills hugely to be able to do it onward and upwards

animation: person or object enters scene and stops.
    Play button / Stop button

on websites, I don't like auto music, or vid, but I do like this look and can see a usefulness for it.

So anyone here use this type of flash? can you recommend a tutorial that takes you from a - z to extract the video, and get it into Xara?

(I realize google green screen is possible, just wondering if there is a specific tutorial anyone HERE might have found useful)

sadicus - Win10 ● nvidia 32GB ● XDP17

There is a software product for creating your own "talking spokesperson" over on top of a web page.

Here is a link to their web site:

http://www.reallusion.com/widgetcast...t_popVideo.asp

Its called POP Video Converter. You take a green screen video to create the transparent background...then you use their html code to make a positionable transparent flash video for placement over a page.

There are tutorials and several examples on the page. Its not totally easy to do unless you're into the video world somewhat. You have to be able to create a transparent video key from the green screen. But this software would allow you to create your own custom video overlays... like the one shown in your original post.

Here is a video tutorial showing how to take a green screen... and then convert it into a mask... and then use the pop video to marry the two so you get a positionable video spokesperson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhFZNeJE6sg

If you are NOT into the video world...there are also several web sites that SELL Video Spokespersons. You contact them, choose the model you want to say your lines...and then send them the script. They have the real person do a video session at their own studio... and then you approve the video recording and reading. The company then sends you the finished flash clip and the embed code necessary to put it onto your site. The cost for hiring the video spokesperson is fairly reasonable...its in the $99-200 USD range depending on several factors. For what this could do for your most important message...its a pretty reasonable investment possibly.

If you do this project thoughtfully and tastefully... it can set you apart as a very state-of-the-art company and everyone will remember you for being the first on the block to have a real video spokesperson tell your message on your home page.

And YES...Some do have a STOP BUTTON for techno curmudgeons.

Here are two typical URL's where you can Purchase a Spokesperson reading YOUR custom message. You could search on a phrase such as "video spokesperson" and get more hits like these.

http://www.ispeakvideo.com/index.php

http://www.websitetalkingheads.com/?...FWV75QodeQScfQ
    (NOTE: at the bottom of this page it enables you to type in your OWN website URL... and it will show you in real time what a video spokesperson will look like... running over your OWN existing web site)

Cheers...have fun.

Suzzie12
    Last edited by suzzie1234; 26 February 2010 at 05:10 PM.

Great stuff, Suzzie. Thanks!