I think this is really more about people being happy (or not) to tell the police who they are rather than photography rights.

I suspect that the police are probably a bit over-zealous about photographs because I'm sure the bad guys do reconoitre their targets. I think that if I were a bad guy I'd just be subtle about it and not attract attention. it's easy to criticise, but huge organisations like the police need straightforward guidelines that will be ridiculous in some circumstances.

I don't have a problem giving the police my name and I think it's reasonable for them to ask. I think that it's the fact that people refuse that makes them step up the ante to try and get compliance.

I think we'd all look stupid if the police had asked a suspicious bomber his name and taken "no" for an answer.

Do I think the photographer is a potential terrorist? No. Should the police be using terror laws to get his name? No. Would I do so if I were a policeman? I might be tempted.

The photographer wasn't denied the opportunity to go about his business, but he made himself the subject of attention when he wanted to do it anonymously.

I suspect that some parents would also be very happy to know that the police did take notice of people with cameras too, and none too fussy about how the police find out who they are.

I'm not down on photographers and don't want them to be restricted, but I'm happy to let the police ask their name.

On one occassion I was chased by a security guard after taking a picture of an empty office building (just a silly project I never saw through). His orders were to stop anyone taking photographs. Fortunately I took the precaution of taking the photographs from outside the property boundary, but that didn't stop him running into the road to try and stop my car.

We had a discussion where I explained he had no jurisdiction on the public highway and no authority to stop me from taking the photographs. He backed down and I went my way. he was just doing what he'd been told to do, as I guess the PCO was doing with the photographer.

On a similar vein our local council asked for my wifes school to take pictures of the christmas lights in the local town centre. Cameras supplied as well. Class sets off to photograph the decorations, only to have security intervene again quoting the "terrorist" threat and my wife and all the children had an interesting discussion with the shopping centre manager who knew nothing about the arrangement made by the council. Of course, they saw sense and allowed them to continue.

Of course, if I am a bad boy, I just say my name is "Steve" or "John". I always get a knowing look.. ;-)