Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Solving Sudoku in XaraXtreme

Some time ago I got interested in Sudoku puzzles, and rather than use pencil and paper, decided to build a Xara drawing with multiple layers, that I could set up the puzzle on, so that all I need do was eliminate digits simply by deleting them. I posted that file some months ago, and I have since updated and tweaked it (attached) to cover Killer Sudoku, too.

In the first version, all the small digits were shown in every square(in the Working Solution layer), and every wrong digit had to be eliminated. But I realise that probably most people don't proceed that way, but only populate each small square with those digits that might be needed, rather than all of them, then later eliminate those that become untenable as the problem progresses. This turns out to be easier I think than the methodology I had started with, so I wanted to make this an option in the Xara file.

I did this by adding another layer above the one containing all the small digits. This layer masks every small digit with a small semi-transparent white square, so that the digits show only faintly through. If you want to have a digit be present, just click on the faint image of it, and hit Delete, and the mask vanishes, fully revealing the digit. If you later then choose to eliminate it, click on it again, hit Delete, and it vanishes again.

If you make a mistake, Undo is your friend, and you can Undo all the way back to the start of the puzzle if you have to. (And I have had to, once or twice!)

I find it actually works pretty well, considering XaraXtreme isn't a Sudoku program.

Killer Sudoku is a variant that contains different starting information, that required two more layers, and needs more setting up than standard Sudoku, which makes it a bit more clumsy to get started, but once the puzzle is set up, it is solved using the same working layers as the standard Sudoku.

There is even a short Help layer in the file.

Enjoy!
    Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by simsmj; 30 January 2010 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Forgot to attach file!

Default Re: Solving Sudoku in XaraXtreme

Wow - that was a lot of work Mike. I have no idea how to play the game (and frankly doubt I'd even have the patience) But I completely appreciate your effort.

Personally, I just go to this web site.... http://websudoku.com/ .... If you accept cookies from the site, you can go into the option tab and make personal choices.......under pencil marking allow multiple numbers...........

Personally I do one or two puzzels a day on the medium level. You can compare your speed to the average but my speeds always come in three catagories: slow;
    slower and Dear friends, we are gathered here today..........

Visit the site, I am sure you will enjoy it................frank

Nice XAR file, Mike. That's a lot of work there!
    I've done similarly, but with Excel.

Personally, I like love the options offered by DKMsoftware.com. In particular, the penciling of possible numbers is well done. I typically do a couple of 'supreme' level puzzles (about 15-min per game) first thing in the morning. It certainly gets the brain in gear, bright and early.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Another great place to do sudoku online is here I have a fun and games section and one of the games is an online sudoku the game even has a link to the developers how to play sudoku page which is very helpful. And for those who would rather do it the old fashioned way with pencil and paper, the weekly funnies pdf also contains a sudoku puzzle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.