Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: spell checking

Default Re: spell checking

Shure do Nancy. Spear Chuckers are nether wrong.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Ha ha, shure nuff
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

I find the on board spell checker in XX5 pro pretty difficult to use particularly if you want to change languages. I found a really good Spell checker in Spell Check Anywhere. It works with ANY Windows program EXCEPT Xara!! It goes through the spell check routine but does not write the changes back to the Xara text as it does with all other Windows progs.
    I talked to the manufacturers who, after seeing a screen shot of what I was trying to do said
    "This is essentially picture/graphic program. As such, it allows for text editing, but in a limited way. So it doesn’t quite implement everything for text editing standards. Therefore, SCA doesn’t work with it completely."
    Does anyone know anything about this problem?
    Regards,

Why is it a problem?

I assume you mean the on board job Sledger - I work in French and English and sometimes it is necessary to check an existing document that you suspect has a spelling error. For some strange reason, the spell checker keeps reverting to English even though I have selected French.

Quote Originally Posted by Peebs24 View Post
    I find the on board spell checker in XX5 pro pretty difficult to use particularly if you want to change languages. I found a really good Spell checker in Spell Check Anywhere. It works with ANY Windows program EXCEPT Xara!! It goes through the spell check routine but does not write the changes back to the Xara text as it does with all other Windows progs.
    I talked to the manufacturers who, after seeing a screen shot of what I was trying to do said
    "This is essentially picture/graphic program. As such, it allows for text editing, but in a limited way. So it doesn’t quite implement everything for text editing standards. Therefore, SCA doesn’t work with it completely."
    Does anyone know anything about this problem?
    Regards,
    Could this "alleged" non fully compatibility problem be the cause of the crash problems that a number of people have reported when changing fonts and/or using the text tool?

There is you answer Peter.

SCA is designed to work with a text or rich text editor such as notepad or Word etc. Also with Email applications which also use text or rich text, in fact ANY Windows program which is a plain or rich text editor.
    Xara Xtreme is neither (as pointed out) - it's a graphics program.

For example, there is no HTML text (rich text) at all in any design until Xtreme exports the design and it is passed through the HTML filter (converter).

Perhaps SCA's integration is causing your Xtreme instability when handling text?

Quote Originally Posted by Peebs24 View Post
    Could this "alleged" non fully compatibility problem be the cause of the crash problems that a number of people have reported when changing fonts and/or using the text tool?
    Surely not. We are fully compatible with Windows. No idea what else they expect us to be compatible with.

This is the second thread in which you mention these alleged crash problems. Unfortunately, nobody has ever come forth with a sensible bug report. Without one, this will never be fixed. I did ask for further information in a previous thread ("Such a heartbreak...") but nobody bothered to respond. So, I ask again here: Could you please let me know the error messages?

Martin
    Xara Developer

Absolutely dead right Martin.

No-one needs to be a rocket scientist or a developer to understand that problems cannot be fixed until they are identified.

Another thread ( 'crashes' ) where mention of Xara's alleged text incompatibility is a cause of problems see's the member failing to give any clear reports.

The Dear Xara.. forum was conceived to allow all TG members/Xara Software users to help the developers identify possible problems areas, the forum sticky explains what is expected of members/users when posting a possible bug report. Please follow this otherwise the developers have nothing to go on. Help them help us, it's of no use posting threads which only tell everyone that you are ****ed off and fed up because you lost x hours of work.
    Be objective and try to repeat the problem, take note of error messages and other oddities. Post screenshots and anything else which might seem relevant.
    Most of all be honest because yes the problem could be as a result of faulty computer equipment or malware infected operating system.

We can all be part of the solution.

What sledger said. Thumbs up, Steve.