Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How do I get those brushes and use them?

I see there's an entire thread of brushes available for us.

I tried to download some and got a small picture (for example, the candy canes) in xara.

Another one had a php file that I tried to open various ways but no luck.

What do I do with these files? I did a search and couldn't figure it out.

I want brushes that I can use to create images like in Corel Paint (which crashed, which is why I got XaraXtreme5 and am loving it!)--I want to be able to draw with "pastel" or "airbrush" or "round watercolor" brushes. Is that possible?

Much thanks in advance for any clarity...I'm pretty lost with computer stuff in general...

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: How do I get those brushes and use them?

Hi Alina, All of the brushes are .xar files. download the .xar file and load it into Xtreme. once you have the the brush file open in Xtreme the brush will be available when you select the freehand tool (the pencil icon). You can shut down the brush file,and as long as Xtreme is open the brush will remain available for any document.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: How do I get those brushes and use them?

Quote Originally Posted by alina View Post
    I want brushes that I can use to create images like in Corel Paint (which crashed, which is why I got XaraXtreme5 and am loving it!)--I want to be able to draw with "pastel" or "airbrush" or "round watercolor" brushes. Is that possible?
    Welcome to the TG Forums alina,

One word of advice, while Xtreme 5 is addictive, fast, intuitive and versatile, it is nothing like Corel Painter or PhotoPaint.
    Corel Painter or PhotoPaint is a pixel pushing bitmap editor. Xara Xtreme is fundamentally a vector image illustration application more like CorelDraw. It uses paths, vectors to calculate drawing lines and fills.
    The brushes are not free flowing 'paint' like a paint brush tool, they are a path following shape duplication tool, the 'shape' being the small picture you see when you open a brush *.xar - the shape duplication profile can be edited for spacing, rotation etc. It can also be increased or decreased in size using the line thickness adjustment on the info bar..

Please take some time to read the Xtreme Help file section on brushes to learn how they differ from 'paint' tools and how best they are used in a vector application. This will give you the best chance at success when migrating from a bitmap editor such as Corel Painter or PhotoPaint.