Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Layer visibility problem

Hi everyone,
    Something wierd is happening with my layers.

Zip file folder "Example_1"

In the web file you will see I have created a layer called Popup_1.

I have placed a few objects onto that layer using the Move button in the Layer Gallery. The objects are not grouped in any way.

I have toggled the visibility of the layer Popup_1 and I can confirm that these objects are definitely on that layer. And I leave them invisible by default.

However, when I preview the page, or export to htm the layer is always visible (htm files are in the ZIP file).

Zip file folder "Example_2"

Actually I can go a stage further.

If you look at this web file you see there's a Popup_1 layer. It's supposed to be invisible, but when you run the preview it's visible.

And clicking the "Close" button makes everything vanish. This suggests to me that XWD thinks everything is on one layer. Yes if you look in the Layers Gallery, and toggle the Popup_1 visibility on and off it's clear that the popup box items are on that layer.

Yesterday I had the simple example working perfectly. But then this wierd visibility behaviour started happening, and it's got be baffled.

What's annoying me is that sometime I can create this simple example and everything seems to work. Other times it doesn't. I can't see that I've done anything different on the pages, but the visibility and layer membership results are totally different.

I was actually trying to put together a video tutorial on how to use the Lock Popup tweak, but this has stopped me cold. Either this is a bug or I have no idea how these XWD layer visibilities are supposed to work.

Cheers,
    Geoff

PS. Running XWD 5.0.1.7886
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Layer visibility problem

In your first example, the 'Popup_1' layer is not a popup layer (despite the name that you've assigned). It will not become a popup layer until it is called or stimulated to appear by some other object which as been assigned a Web Properties > Link (tab) > Popup layer [ Popup_1 ].

Note that visibility checkmark at the Layer Gallery has nothing to do with layeer visibility during Preview.

In the second example, what button is supposed to make the gray popup dialog be displayed?

Again, the visibility toggle within the Layer Gallery is only applies to visibility within your project file (during an editing session).
    Last edited by cursor; 23 July 2009 at 05:10 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Layer visibility problem

Hi Cursor,
    I should take a photo of my face right now - it's a hoot.

Like a cross between "ahhhhhhhh!" and "what a plonker!".

I see now.

• All layers are visible on the preview and the final website, unless you explicitly make them into a popup layer.
    • As you say, the visibility property is just for editing convenience - so you can shift stuff out of sight while you are working.

It all makes sense now.

I just fixed my more complex example. I could have sworn I'd put a popup action onto the "What's New" button - but of course when I check it was not there. I put it right and it works.

Cheers,
    Geoff

I'm glad it made sense, Geoff. (I would like to have seen a picture though.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    All layers are visible on the preview and the final website, unless you explicitly make them into a popup layer.
    Almost right ...
    Note that all layers that start with "mouseover" (not case-sensitive) are rollover layers. Elements placed on those layers will not show unless stimulated by a mouseover of an overlapping graphic on a visible layer. Still [minimally] a link has to be assigned to the visible graphic in order for it's rollover layer element to be displayed).

If, for example, you were to put a black rectangle on the MouseOver layer, without explicity setting it up as part of a hyperlinked button, you would never see the rectangle during Preview, nor in a browser.

I'm sure I'll encounter those situations sooner or later.

Thanks again Curtis for your great (and incredibly speedy) advice!

I can get on with that tutorial now

Cheers,
    Geoff