Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Changes in X5: Disable fill cloned picture?

Hi all, another change from X5 to X4. Hope the picture explains..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fill.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	63334  

Default Re: Changes in X5: Disable fill cloned picture?

This has come up many times since 'repeating objects' was introduced with XWD.
    You need to hold SHIFT+Ctrl when drag'n'dropping another image, then choose the action from the dialog that pops up (change just this photo... etc)

Thanks again Sledger!

Yes, thanks Sledger. I didn't know that and it was driving me mad.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    This has come up many times since 'repeating objects' was introduced with XWD.
    You need to hold SHIFT+Ctrl when drag'n'dropping another image, then choose the action from the dialog that pops up (change just this photo... etc)
    As someone trying to get the hang of this programme, I went to the so-called Help files seeking further enlightenment. Nothing there. No mention of this shortcut either. If Xara are going to take so long to send out the CD, why can't they put a full manual on their website for optional downloading?

How is one meant to learn and understand this non-intuitive piece of software if the help files are inadequate? I appreciate the effort that has gone into the great tutorials available from users. Unfortunately most of them, including those marked for beginners, are now out of date or are videos from which I cannot learn at all. I need printed instruction to learn.

Where would Xara be without the selfless free support provided by loyal forum members who wrangle around all the inadequacies and then share their knowledge? - Probably long dead.

I bought X1 way back. Opened it a couple of times, was impressed with the speed if not the functions and went back to using Freehand (old and not at all pretty) and Photoshop. Then promptly forgot I even owned X1. Now I've purchased XX5 and am seriously disillusioned with it.

The whole Fill tool needs reworking from scratch. From reading this forum every day for the past few weeks it looks like everything one wants to do requires a torturous workaround through many, many steps instead of being logical and straightforward as illustrated by this thread http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=39951.

As a vector editor which I required, it is looking more and more of a joke. It cannot do the simplest things without it being a major hassle.

I'm about to put my fist through my monitor in sheer frustration.

I'm about to put my fist through my monitor in sheer frustration.
    Not a recommended workaround
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Not a recommended workaround
    LOL

@ dmcd, I'm sorry you're finding Xtreme to be non-intuitive. I've always found it to be very well-designed, but then people process information in different ways. It may also be that since you're used to the way things work in other apps, for you, that's the way they ought to be done.

Where I run into trouble is when Xara changes the way a tool works that I've been using for years. The new behavior may be highly efficient for many people, but it just gets in my way. I will admit that the new behavior is often the result of some creative thinking on the part of Xara & Co, whether it works for me or not.

What it comes down to is this. If Xtreme works for you, use it. If something else works better for you, use that instead. One size will never fit all, and there's no point in making yourself uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcd View Post
    ...... to learn and understand this non-intuitive piece of software ........
    Like Allison, I understand that not everyone thinks alike, and am sorry that this software doesn't fit your usage. I personally find this one of the most intuitive pieces of software I have ever used.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcd View Post
    I went to the so-called Help files seeking further enlightenment. Nothing there. No mention of this shortcut either.

How is one meant to learn and understand this non-intuitive piece of software if the help files are inadequate?
    Please see Help File section: Importing Photos