Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Threaded View

Default Re: [Problem] Inner glow of a shape

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    this is how I create an inner glow to shapes: Create the shape you want to give an inner glow to; remove the fill (i.e., make it transparent); clone the shape (Ctrl-K); apply a shadow to the cloned shape in the shadow tool and set it to 'Glow' (and modify to your liking); select both shapes and select Arrange/Apply Clipview.
    I don't think these instructions work since you can't add a shadow to a transparent shape.

My attempt is attached.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    I don't see a problem here...these are perfectly serviceable workarounds.
    I disagree entirely!

Converting a line to a shape (so that you can give it a gradient fill) means it is no longer a line! So what happens if you need to reshape the line? Or change the join style or end caps? Or thicken the line?

None of these are possible without recreating the line from scratch, or keeping a second copy of the line (on a hidden layer) from which to make changes.

As for the inner shadow / glow workaround - this is a multi-step process that involves some sophisticated concepts (such as clipview), where other packages might have a single button to achieve the same effect. Plus the end result is not easily editable, again involving multiple tools and stages.

Neither scenario is a good solution; both are clumsy methods of achieving something that is a frequent requirement in any design / graphics package.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inner Shadows.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	62503  
    Attached Files Attached Files