Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Strange Previews

I'm nearly done with my first Xara WD site and things have been working great. I love the ease and power of the program - perfect for what I'm trying to do.

However , when I go to export and preview, the pages are all messed up. For example, a photo will be replaced by a button. I have attached a couple of screenshots of the preview screen next to the open web doc I am working on so you to see what I'm talking about. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Thanks in advance, Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenHunter_07 Jun. 05 11.52.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	61978   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenHunter_06 Jun. 05 11.28.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	61979  

Default Re: Strange Previews

How are you exporting/publishing the site?

Hi Cursor,

I export to file on my HD and then preview in XWD.

Is that what you needed to know? The site is here

I published a couple of hours ago and everthing looked good. This strange preview on started recently.

Thanks, Ken

I had a similar thing happened to me, I had duplicated a page with a lot of pop up photos and a lot of html in the Placeholder. I decided to duplicate a very basic page redid this page and this fixed the problem, so now I always duplicate a very basic page instead.

I hope this works for you.

Hi Wanda,

I appreciate your comment but I don't think that's the case for me. I looked at all my pages, photos and placeholders and they appear to be ok. There is nothing too complicated on my site. Besides, I would think the program should be able to handle those kinds of situations without mixing up the page elements.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by kfoster
    I export to file on my HD and then preview in XWD.
    At what point in this process do your pages look jumbled? Is it when you're previewing in XWD, or after the site is uploaded to your host? Are you using an alternative FTP program to upload your site?

Every time you export, there is no guaranty that the filenames will be the same as any previous export. If for any reason you're combining files from different export processes, then you're bound to have trouble. Might this be connected with what you're doing?

The pages look jumbled in the Xara preview window but it looks fine in the workspace. I don't dare publish for fear it will somehow "contaminate" my site.

I don't think I'm combining files from different export processes. The folders look pretty clean to me...

Thanks, Ken

Try deleting the index_htm_files folder and exporting everything again. Worked for me.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Ken, I notice that you got the Porta/SimpleViewer album going on your Portfolio page. Looking good!

Hi there,

Yes, it had something to do with the folder structure I had going on - maybe it was how I was exporting - not sure. Once I deleted the index_htm_files folder everything worked fine.

And yes, the Porta was just what I needed. I really like how easy it is too customize everything. Thank you so much. I think I may even be ready to post it in the "Show us your Sites" thread and get some feedback.

Thanks everyone for helping me out. I really appreciate it. And thanks Xara for putting out such awesome software at a reasonable price.

Have a great weekend!

Oh, and here is my site - it's up and running - B&After Renovation Design

Ken