Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: computer Upgrade

I agree, building it yourself will cost more in capital outlay, and time expended. But... you get what you pay for. The main reason buying the whole shebang is cheaper, they are filled with commercials for other software/firms... AOL, Compuserve, Microsux, etc...

Might be cheapest to buy the manufactured box and a separate OEM OS. Then just wipe/load the entire box as soon as you get it.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

You might want to have a look at Velocity Micro... http://velocitymicro.com/

I have had three machines from them in the last 5 years. They are a very responsive company, the support when needed has been very good, if have you have special requests and hardware needs they will be responsive to your needs. It is a much difference experience than dealing with very large companies like Dell and HP.

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    but often sourcing separate components can be more expensive that getting the whole shebang from a vendor
    You obviously haven't built a lot of computers in your life...

Quote Originally Posted by JDonner View Post
    You obviously haven't built a lot of computers in your life...
    LOL you obviously make a lot of assumptions about people that aren't true.

Besides hardware, the cost of buying separate software licences to run on the machines can add to the cost significantly. There's no way I can source windows licences at the same cost as a big supplier.

I don't build PCs as a business, but I have built every standalone PC that we have from scratch. I haven't built a 'new' machine for several years, simply because we've moved towards using laptops and because our machines have been upgraded in stages.

I don't think that most people building one-off machines will find it easy to source hardware and software as a package at a price that competes with the box-shifters.

One really important point to consider is that while many of us are comfortable with building machines, most are not and recommending 'build your own' regardless of the aptitude of the person needing a new machine would be irresponsible - every now and again a new build goes wrong.

Even on the hardware front I sometimes get offers from Dell for machines costing £199 that I couldn't source the components for - plus I get a guarantee for a year.

I have no doubt that some people - clearly yourself - can source these components more cheaply than I can buy fully assembled from Dell, but for the average person is the hassle of putting this stuff together worthwhile when the box arrives from Dell, or someone like Sledger, it just works and is guaranteed for a year? For most people the answer is 'no'.

Paul

Like Paul, all the computers I have at home have been hand assembled from "spare" parts.

As far as I am concerned, (as a private individual as opposed to a small business licenced to resell) , there is no way I can buy all the components and software to assemble a computer (free labour) for the cost of buying a complete system. Not even close.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I just recently upgraded, got a new hp 64 bit machine with vista... then down graded by shrinking the drive, adding partion etc, installing xp, and not caring that xp is now boot... fantastic, glad to be back... word to the wise - be sure to make a list of components and get the proper drivers...

Main reason to downgrade was due to software issues with vista, and poor driver developement for our firewire sound mixer... would not run with vista... This said, wow is xp ever quick now... wahoo

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I don't think that most people building one-off machines will find it easy to source hardware and software as a package at a price that competes with the box-shifters.

One really important point to consider is that while many of us are comfortable with building machines, most are not and recommending 'build your own' regardless of the aptitude of the person needing a new machine would be irresponsible - every now and again a new build goes wrong.
    Paul
    I have to agree on the pricing. If you have an OEM version of your OS, then you can just move (not copy) it to the new machine. Just like a format and reload.

Anymore, slapping a computer together takes about the same amount of skill as building a jigsaw puzzle. Yes, some folks have trouble with a jigsaw puzzle, but most can handle it. The trick is finding the right pieces, and making sure they will fit before you purchase.

I like Tigerdirect.com here in the states... The price is reasonable and they have all the pieces to whatever puzzle you might want. Just don't fall for the "rebates". They outsource that, and have had more trouble getting the rebates... excuses, excuses, excuses....
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook