Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Default Re: Backup of XtremePro 4 CD now impossible.

Just to confirm that Seb's method using Alcohol 120 is working.

By the way, I had to reinstall Xara Pro 4 because my "Import PDF" option was gone ...
    Does anybody else have problem with missing Filters ?

Bernard

I cannot see the problem with Xara attempting to prevent people copying their disks for whatever reason, be it the loaning to a friend to try or the selling it to someone who wants it but can’t scrape the vast sums of money involved to buy it full price having just spent all their money on an Adobe product or a nice game or two.
    All you have to do is look after the disk, no more using it as a coaster or as one of a small pile used to prop up a wobbly desk. Having said that the jewel case that my copy of CorelXara came in is cracked, though all my Xara disks from XaraStudio to the present day are fine.
    To labour the point further what about 'backing up' all the DVD movies we all buy in case we should accidentally immerse the originals in acid or boiling water or copying all the kids games in case they should loose the originals.
    Last edited by masque; 31 July 2008 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by masque View Post
    I cannot see the problem with Xara attempting to prevent people copying their disks for whatever reason,
    Indeed, I do understand why people want to do it for music CD's or game CD's you need to have in your machine all the time. But with Xara CD you just use it ones to install and then you just put it away in a safe place.
    And you don`t need it until you need to re-install.

But for copy prtection? If you can make a virtual copy that is useable
    on a harddisk, and we heard you can with Xara CD, copying is still possible.
    It is hard to stop, piracy, and with most programs the ones who get
    the least useable copy, are ussually the ones who buy legit.
    But Xara is very useable and no problems have arisen for me.
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Default Re: Backup of XtremePro 4 CD now TOTALLY possible!

Oh, all this discussion....
    Copy protection is simply non existing (even if the companies want you to believe otherwise)
    In my case I am must have an image, as I am not installing it with real CD with Zenworks (it simply does not work this way!)
    It is already nightmare that Xara can NOT provide scripted silent install. Not even the serial input (so I have to have it handy), shame on you Magix!!!!!
    They are never going to get anywhere with the product beyond the home/small office market

Seb

cool - seemed to work with alcohol 52% (the free version)

i hate to have to put in a cd and always have all of my stuff (jobs ,apps, music) on a huge 2,bla usb drive.

btw: a comment of me regarding a warez version of x was deleted without a notice.

come on - we're adult - we all paid for it and i just wanted to point out that as usual the warez guys get a non-cd version if they want to. if i buy a game eg i usually look for a non-cd thing first. i got to get my unsporty body back from the couch when i have to swap my sons lego star wars back to gta4 :b

better invest in better marketing. you`re not selling because most grafic people nerver heard of xara.

i seem to be the only person who knows and even uses it. and i know a lot of designers back from design college.

bb,

FLy

As someone who administers a network of fortyish PCs - that's quantity, not age - and detest copy protected apps for the aggro they've caused me over the years, I have to say that different machines on the network not having/having incompatible CD drives is a point I just don't understand. If we need to install individually we don't physically take the CD from PC to PC, we install from a networked drive.

That said, if Xara want to get more into the corporate market then this kind of protection is going the wrong way. They need to look at network license servers that allow however many users that the license covers to use the software concurrently, regardless of the number of machine installs.

Unhappy Re: Backup of XtremePro 4 CD now impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by BernardBerger View Post
    Just to confirm that Seb's method using Alcohol 120 is working.

By the way, I had to reinstall Xara Pro 4 because my "Import PDF" option was gone ...
    Does anybody else have problem with missing Filters ?

Bernard
    Yes I did, as listed here :-
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=34002