Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Question about drawing

well let me explain further then...

once I export as an .AI file.. I open it in AI and then select all, flatten transparency, edit/copy then open Photoshop CS2 and paste as a shape layer. If I have a solid white fill once I do these steps I have a solid black shape. Thats not what I want. I just want the outline shapes.

Does anyone know if this is possible without editing every single line in xara so that they don't overlap??

I don't use Illustrator, but I know Albacore does, he may be able to clarify what you need to do when you import into Illustrator, but if you put each holly leaf on a separate layer and then name each layer, remove the ouline colour and the fill and then export that to Illustrator, will you be able to do the necessary once it's imported into Illustrator?
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

If you are combing pre-existing shapes I don't know of a way to do it without editing. I think you would have to make a sketch , scan it and then trace or draw the lines that you want.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by TammyKat View Post
    well let me explain further then...

once I export as an .AI file.. I open it in AI and then select all, flatten transparency, edit/copy then open Photoshop CS2 and paste as a shape layer. If I have a solid white fill once I do these steps I have a solid black shape. Thats not what I want. I just want the outline shapes.

Does anyone know if this is possible without editing every single line in xara so that they don't overlap??
    I'm still not sure what you want to achieve.

You don't have to flatten transparency (there's none) and whatever you paste from AI to PS as a shape layer is a solid shape, also shapes created with AI.

If you want the shapes to be editable vectors in PS, paste them from AI as paths. If not, just choose PS as the default bitmap editor for Xara, then create bitmap copy from the objects (I have ctrl+shift+c as the shortcut)in Xara and doubleclick them, opens instantly in PS.

Quote Originally Posted by a4hire View Post
    If you are combing pre-existing shapes I don't know of a way to do it without editing. I think you would have to make a sketch , scan it and then trace or draw the lines that you want.
    thats what i'm hoping I don't have to do !!

I'm still not sure what you want to achieve.

You don't have to flatten transparency (there's none) and whatever you paste from AI to PS as a shape layer is a solid shape, also shapes created with AI.

If you want the shapes to be editable vectors in PS, paste them from AI as paths. If not, just choose PS as the default bitmap editor for Xara, then create bitmap copy from the objects (I have ctrl+shift+c as the shortcut)in Xara and doubleclick them, opens instantly in PS.
    Well when I do paths then the lines are all jaggy.. that doesn't work. The only way for me to get smooth lines from xara is to do how I described above.. at least thats the only way me and a bunch of others have found through another digiscrap forum.

I want to end up using these shapes in photoshop cs2 as custom preset shapes without jaggy lines. I don't always want a solid shape, so I'm trying to figure out an easier way to get my LINES instead... I just don't know how to get rid of the overlapping lines that I don't want. I wonder if somehow break lines will work ...

TammyKat,

If I understand your question correctly, use the shape editor tool to place a point or node where the leaves overlap. Then you can "break at points". This will separate that section from the rest of the line, and you can delete it. When you are finished with all the deletions, "join" the shapes. This should keep the lines with no fill. Or you could just group the lines, depending on what you want to do with them.

Of course, if I've misunderstood the question, the great thing about this forum, someone else will soon be by with another solution.

Mickie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example.gif 
Views:	193 
Size:	4.0 KB 
ID:	41496  

that sounds right ! I will try that.. that will also be alot of work.. but I guess thats whats got to be done for me to get it right.

I didn't know exactly how that option worked.. so basically you just need a node there.. then it will break there... awesome.

Thank you !! I will hope for an easier answer, but think this sounds like my only choice.

Appreciate it !!

OK..What do i have to do to get the option for "break shapes" or "break points" I have it greyed out unless I "join shapes" but when I join shapes and then break shapes it doesn't do what I need.

How did you do what you did in that screenshot?? the step BEFORE the "break at points" ?

Make sure you are using the shape editor tool and have the node selected.

Mickie

A-HA !! lol thats why it didn't work ! I was selecting the whole shape !

I still have SO much to learn with the tools in xara ! I just LOVE drawing in it and prefer it over AI ! I still am lost in AI !

THANK YOU !!!!!