Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Xtreme pro 3.2.2 crash

Hello,

as soon as I try to apply a plugin (either a sample one or a registered pne) to a drawing, e.g. a simple rectangle, Xtreme pro ceashes with an access violation.

OS Windows Vista ultimate x64.

The same installation works fine in a VM running XP pro SP2

Thx for your help

Default Re: Xtreme pro 3.2.2 crash

I've reported a problem recently with 'old-style' plugins causing Xara to crash when run on Vista (32 and presumably 64). It doesn't happen for XP. They'll probably be trying to fix it.

Check the web site for the creator of the plug-in. I know that Mehdi recompiled all their plug-ins so they are compatible with Vista. The problem occurs when the computer has 2GB or more of RAM.

Before being recompiled the Mehdi Eraser plug-in would lock up. Downloading the recompiled plug-in removes the problem.
    Last edited by Soquili; 17 August 2007 at 07:43 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Check the web site for the creator of the plug-in. I know that Mehdi recompiled all their plug-ins so they are compatible with Vista. The problems appears occur when the computer has 2GB or more of RAM.

Before being recompiled the Mehdi Eraser plug-in would lock up. Downloading the recompiled plug-in removes the problem.
    It crashes for me and I have less than 2GB of RAM. Plug-ins other than Mehdi are affected - all old-style plug-ins seem to be. It could be a Vista problem that the plug-in makers would need to address, but from a user's perspective, it would be more convenient if it was a Xara problem, as that would only require one fix.

Do you have a link to the Mehdi site for the update you installed so I can try it please?

The 2GB information was from Mehdi's website. I have not seen any other companies correcting the problem or identifying another cause of the problem.

I don't have many plug-ins and use them very infrequently. The plug-ins designed specifically for Xara Xtreme have not caused any problems on my system. The generic plug-ins that work with Photoshop, PSP, and Xtreme are some that either work or not under Vista. The ones that lock up in Vista using Xtreme also lock up in Photoshop, and other applications.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I tried several plugins successfully. Which one was causing you problems?
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

I've downloaded the last update of the Eye Candy 4000 plugins, the ones I'have purchased, the issue seems to be related to the latest version of Xtreme pro, the plugins worke with the trial version.
    The plugins are not the only feature that crashes Xtreme Pro, launching the bitmap editor by right clicking on a bitmap raises the same exception.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeBoss49 View Post
    Hello,

as soon as I try to apply a plugin (either a sample one or a registered pne) to a drawing, e.g. a simple rectangle, Xtreme pro ceashes with an access violation.

OS Windows Vista ultimate x64.

The same installation works fine in a VM running XP pro SP2

Thx for your help

If this can be useful to any user, to solve the plugin issue in Vista you HAVE TO ADD Xara Extreme Pro TO THE DEP exception list.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeBoss49 View Post
    If this can be useful to any user, to solve the plugin issue in Vista you HAVE TO ADD Xara Extreme Pro TO THE DEP exception list.
    Please could you explain what a DEP exception list is, and how people could go about doing this step-by-step?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    Please could you explain what a DEP exception list is, and how people could go about doing this step-by-step?

Thanks.
    DEP = Data Execution Prevention:
    Data Execution Prevention aims to protect your computer by making it harder for hackers to silently execute their programs in your PC.

Step-by-step guide here:
    http://www.windowssecrets.com/2007/0...rotect-your-PC

Note that the Data Execution Prevention tab of the Performance Options dialog box only lets you adjust DEP settings for 32-bit applications. If you have the 64-bit version of Vista installed (which can run both 32- and 64-bit apps), you're covered: Windows applies DEP to all 64-bit services and programs. In fact, if you try to add a 64-bit application to the exclusion list, Vista displays an error telling you it can't be done.