Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Forum Integration

Hello-

I have no website creation experience and need to get a website up and running quickly. I have played with the Web Designer a bit and I am in need of a little direction on a couple of items:

1. How would I go about integrating a Forum inside of a Web Designer page - I think it would be in an "IFRAME" if I understand correctly? Would this need to be manually editing the code or can Web Designer help facilitate this?

2. Similar to #1 above, I need to integrate a PayPal link. I think the way this works is you provide a link to a PayPal site - again can it look like the user has not left my website - by hosting everything in an IFRAME?

I am really just looking for some guidance - if this can be done inside of Web Designer all the better - keeping me away from managing the HTML which I can muddle through but would rather focus on the business end of my business besides the website aspect. I am hoping Web Designer is the key - I am already an Extreme Pro 5 license holder.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide. I am REALLY after a website that looks like www.prlprinter.com - this is a company, like mine, that has a single software product - the website looks nice and clean and "seems" to me to be something Web Designer could handle easily.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 16 June 2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Read the rules regarding links in first posts

Default Re: Forum Integration

1. I don't have experience with incorporating a forum within a website. However, a forum shows in a browser as a series of web pages and these can be viewed from within a website using an iframe in a placeholder.

The code would look something like this:

Code:
    <iframe name="mainframe" id="mainframe"
     style="position:absolute;left:0px;top:20px;width:100%;height:100%;
    z-index:1;" src="http://www.LINK_TO_FORUM" scrolling="auto" frameborder="0"
     allowtransparency="true">Your browser does not support inline frames
     or is currently configured not to display inline frames.</iframe>
    I noticed that the forum on the website you linked to is powered by phpBB. It's Open Source and free and quite easy to customize: http://www.phpbb.com/

2. Here is a link to a tutorial on how to integrate PayPal into your XWD website: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showpost...05&postcount=8

Here is a sample of Boy's forum-in-placeholder coding. It inserts TalkGraphics.com as content (on Preview).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Wow- thanks SO much for the help guys! Awesome!

I have purchased Web Designer (missed the upgrade discount a month ago - shucks!) but $49 is not bad.

I didn't realize I could copy over items from Xara Extreme - what an excellent discovery! I wish "a little" that Web Designer could sense if Extreme was loaded and would allow the advanced functionality of Extreme within Web Designer - but hey - at least copy paste works beautifully.

Thanks so much again for your tips - I think I have all the pieces I need to create my website - I will post it when i am done.

Quote Originally Posted by mstam1616 View Post
    I wish "a little" that Web Designer could sense if Extreme was loaded and would allow the advanced functionality of Extreme within Web Designer - but hey - at least copy paste works beautifully.
    You could have upgraded to Xtreme version 5 from Xtreme version 4 for $39.00
    Xtreme 5 includes Web Designers HTML features plus those additional extras that Xtreme has ..

http://www.xara.com/us/products/xtreme/upgrade
    Xara Xtreme 5 now includes all the web features recently introduced in Xara Web Designer, making Xtreme a first class web authoring tool in its own right. The many improvements include:

Complete freeform WYSIWYG web page design - no layout rules
    One click preview, and one click publishing to your web server
    Automatic photo re-sampling and photo optimization
    Full support for CSS layers including transparency effects
    Pop-ups and mouseover effects. Automatic photo thumbnails with pop-ups
    Support for thousands of web page widgets (e.g. embedded movies, Google maps, RSS feeds, forms etc)
    Website wide or per page title, keyword, description and tracker code
    A large range of new web page templates, with easy theme coloring, photo replacement etc
    Cross browser, cross platform compatible, fully standards compatible (X)HTML

Hello-

Thanks - I did upgrade from 4 to 5 Extreme for the discounted rate - I just missed the Web Designer discount. No biggie - happy to pay for great software.

pennies to pay for great software ...

Quote Originally Posted by mstam1616 View Post
    Hello-

Thanks - I did upgrade from 4 to 5 Extreme for the discounted rate - I just missed the Web Designer discount.

I think you missed sledger's point: Once you own Xtreme 5 you don't need Web Designer anymore; all its functionality is included in XX5.

If I were you, I would explain the misunderstanding (if that's what it is) to Xara's sales department and request a refund.

Oh my - I missed that functionality inside of Extreme entirely. Ouch.

Thanks - I will contact support.