Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default old Corel Xara .xar images results transparent but they ARENT!

Hi,
    i have an original copy of Corel Xara in a cd rom but i cant install it over windows 10 due to OS error ( maybe its too old that software ).
    Ive purchased Xara Extreme Pro wich install good over Win 10.

BUT there is a big problem.

A lot of the old .xar files made by Corel Xara opens in Xara Xtreme but seems trasparent and i cant see anything in it ( they actually works on an old Corel Xara PC ).
    Have you please a solution?
    For me would be great also to make possible to install the old Corel Xara in windows 10 but there is no way, even emulating all old windows Os during installation or execute installer as Admin.

Im quite desperate..

Thanks so much!

Default Re: old Corel Xara .xar images results transparent but they ARENT!

Hi,
    Have you tried importing them from the CD as opposed to opening them? Just a thought..
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Switch to wire frame view to see if anything is actually there. Can you also upload one of these files?

Mike

there have been some significant changes in the way the program handles transparency since the days of Corel Xara, which may or may not be causing you an issue

a file, as mike suggested, would enable us to check it all out
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Switch to wire frame view to see if anything is actually there. Can you also upload one of these files?

Mike
    Thank mwenz sorry but im a student girl soo noob ( im italian and sorry for my english ).
    I have no idea how to
    "Switch to wire frame view".

Here is one file Steve Canyon 49.xar (1.66 MB) i cant view with Xara Designer pro X ( but works well with old corel xara )-
    THANKS!!!

p.s.SORRY I HAVE Xara Designer pro X and NOT Xara Extreme Pro
    Attached Files Attached Files

hi - thanks for the file - there is something there but it's not imported as I'd expect - I'll take a closer look....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

THANKS!!!
    With Corel Xara and windows xp opens well!

Sharon,

I have fixed this for you, please see the attachment and let me know if it works.

Also, you can install and run CorelXARA on Windows 10 (including on 64-bit flavor) by following these steps, I assume you have basic knowledge of computer usage and patience

1. Create a folder on your desktop called "CorelXARA Setup"
    2. Insert your CorelXARA CD into your drive.
    3. Explore the root of the CD
    4. Select all the files and copy them to your desktop folder "CorelXARA Setup" (into the same folder where setup.exe is also found)
    5. Download http://toastytech.com/files/Is3Engine.zip AND extract the SETUP32.EXE file that is inside and copy it into the "CorelXARA Setup" on the desktop.
    6. Go into "CorelXARA Setup" and run SETUP32.EXE file and install the program.
    7. In order to run the program, we need to install Sandboxie from https://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?DownloadSandboxie which allows you to use it free for personal use, it should give you enough time to convert all your files accordingly (see below).
    8. Once installed, then go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\CorelXARA" and right click on corelxra.exe and select "Run Sandboxed" and select DefaultBox and ok. It should run as normal.

Please familiarize yourself with Sandboxie in terms of transferring the files from the sandbox.

In order to convert your files just do this (which is what I did):

1. Open your XAR file in CorelXara, then open the Bitmap Gallery and you will see the bitmaps there. Right click on each bitmap (in the Bitmap Gallery) and click SAVE and save as per your convenient location.
    2. Open the same XAR in Xara Xtreme Pro.
    3. Drag the just saved bitmap onto your document then press "Del" to "delete it" from view (it is still in the Bitmap Gallery)
    3. Drag the "set view quality" slider to lowest setting.
    4. Select the rectangle that appears on your page and then in the Bitmap Gallery right click on the image that you see and right click and select Apply as Fill.
    5. Save the document AS IS

Since this way you can run CorelXARA you could experiment with exporting to various formats and see what works better.

Repeat as needed. Unfortunately there is no automatic way to handle this as likely Xara would not release a convertor so if the files are really important to you, this should help you.

Enjoy

Reference:
    InstallShield Setup32.exe trick learned from:
    http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10988

Quote Originally Posted by sharon View Post
    Hi,
    i have an original copy of Corel Xara in a cd rom but i cant install it over windows 10 due to OS error ( maybe its too old that software ).
    Ive purchased Xara Extreme Pro wich install good over Win 10.

BUT there is a big problem.

A lot of the old .xar files made by Corel Xara opens in Xara Xtreme but seems trasparent and i cant see anything in it ( they actually works on an old Corel Xara PC ).
    Have you please a solution?
    For me would be great also to make possible to install the old Corel Xara in windows 10 but there is no way, even emulating all old windows Os during installation or execute installer as Admin.

Im quite desperate..

Thanks so much!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ypson; 21 July 2017 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Added installation instructions

ypson - Your post was moderated because you are a new member and not allowed links. However as your links are appropriate I have approved the post. Thanks.

useful info there ypson - thanks