Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default problems representing foliage (jungle) on map

I'm trying to come up with a quality vector graphic representation of foliage on a map (bitmap satellite data). I'm hoping that some of you might chip in some ideas.

I've attached a partial map that illustrates one of my several attempts. The process involves overlayed shapes fabricated using two brushes, Convert Line to Shape, transparency, and Apply Clipview. The client's comment (that'd be my 89 year old father, a retired anthropologist) on the nine options that I've submitted so far was:

Note these observations: The strip of jungle/wilderness, narrow or not, cannot be as crisply defined as all these versions make it. Can the boundaries be a little more vague? In the highlands of Chiapas spread the swath out some so that it is not uniformly “narrow” (in a strict sense). In other words make it more of a feature of nature, with appropriate variability in its boundaries, somewhat wider here and there. Any move in that direction would be welcome. But I can’t expect perfection because I don’t know what perfection is! Please try one more time.

An constructive/creative advice that you folks might offer me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map_foliage-help.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	96733  

Default Re: problems representing foliage (jungle) on map

Foliage.web

I had a play with the Freehand and Brush Tool and quickly outlined round your graphic.
    I then used a small sized Fractal Cloud Fill with two different greens.
    I duplicated the shape and altered the pitch and orientation of the fill.
    I then applied a Flat Stained Glass Transparency to get rid of a repeat pattern that would destroy the natural effect.
    Finally, I feathered the edges of the shapes.

Nothing like your but I hope that is the point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Foliage.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	96741

Acorn

Note that Xara Designer's fractal cloud uses a 256x256 bitmap. iow, it is not vector.

I took Acorn's image, made a vector image of it and saved the file as a xar file. You will have to download it and make a copy of it and then flip the copy both horizontally and vertically. Then connect both images together. That way the ends will be the same width for additional connections. I took sledger's suggestion and created the file to 256X256.

See the attached file...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Cursor - Here is a vector image of the jungle that was on the map that you posted. I posted it in the invent that you wanted to play around with it.

The map that you posted is so professional in appearance, I can not see anything to complain about. I only wish that I could fabricate one that is near to it...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by laser1; 19 June 2013 at 12:40 AM.

The points Curtis' father makes are:

The strip of jungle/wilderness, narrow or not, cannot be as crisply defined as all these versions make it. Can the boundaries be a little more vague? In the highlands of Chiapas spread the swath out some so that it is not uniformly “narrow” (in a strict sense). In other words make it more of a feature of nature, with appropriate variability in its boundaries, somewhat wider here and there.
    IOW: I read it as variable density boundaries of wide, narrow and patchy jungle growth without such defined harsh edges. A thinning out at the peripherals in a random 'nature'.

To be honest, it's a rather large ask, because this would require a lot of manual work really.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 19 June 2013 at 01:38 AM.

I wonder if your client is asking for "jungle iindicated by the color green?" Green on these maps indicates rain forest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	junge the color green.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	96745  

As always, I appreciate your very constructive input, Steve. I understand that my request for help requires a thoughtful response. ANY direction offered (particularly from you) would be helpful.

Thanks for your input, laser1 ... but I'm hoping to tap into some real Xara Designer [combination of] technique[s] that results in a professional graphic that strongly suggests thick forest over extreme/intense terrain. Frankly, I wouldn't be so picky, except that it's for my father's final published work. Again, thanks for your participation within this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger
    I read it as variable density boundaries of wide, narrow and patchy jungle growth without such defined harsh edges. A thinning out at the peripherals in a random 'nature'.

To be honest, it's a rather large ask, because this would require a lot of manual work really.
    Yup. You read it right ... the solution is no doubt complex. I'm not looking for an absolute solution, but rather a tactical/technical direction. Can you help?