Hi stygg—

To be fair here—and I like positive discussions as much as the next person and leave Flame Wars to other web forums—that was mgbgt's first post. They evidently encourage sticking to good typographic rules in sign-making, and I am not exception...I, too, believe that when the budget is there, you work with the best tools and media you can afford.

Most of the time, I do not endorse squishing and stretching a line of text, and never, ever suggest that a Roman or other serif font is distorted in this way. My point is that artistically, you can get away with distorting a typeface such as Futura—"getting away with" being the operative phrase.

Necessity is the mother of invention 70% of the time. Desperation is the mother 20%, and stupidity makes up the rest of Invention. I don't encourage members to be unwise with designing a sign.

But if you have no other solution, you haven't the money to buy the fonts you need...

Stygg? mgbgt?

Do you see now that I'm trying to teach and address a larger topic than the use of fonts? Can we agree that the tutorial for April is about design and layout?

My Best,

Gary