Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Importing from Google sketch up

Hi
    when i try to import a drawing that i saved from sketch up, xara shows the message " this file is not recognized by any of the installed filters".
    What may I have done wrong?

thanks

Default Re: Importing from Google sketch up

SketchUp will only save as an .skp file. XaraXtreme can't open or import this file extension. You will have to export from SketchUp as a .bmp, .jpg, .tif, or .png; all of which XaraXtreme can open or import.
    ~Fred

Please note that .eps and .pdf are also recognized in both applications. Since they both are vector formats, your shapes and control points are maintained (at least, a 2D representation of your 3D SketchUp model).
    Last edited by cursor; 06 April 2010 at 06:12 PM.

Hi Curtis,
    We probably also need to say that, ".eps & .pdf's are only available in SketchUp Pro and not in the free SketchUp."
    ~Fred

I don't use SU. But is it possible with the non-pro version to 'print to PDF' if you have a PDF print driver installed?
    If so, then you might get away with not needing SKPro

Quote Originally Posted by Fred C
    We probably also need to say that, ".eps & .pdf's are only available in SketchUp Pro and not in the free SketchUp.
    Excellent point.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger
    But is it possible with the non-pro version to 'print to PDF' if you have a PDF print driver installed?
    Yes. You can download and install CutePDF Writer (free), and gain essentially the same export functionality.

Swift 3d exports vectors to ai and eps and I haven't ever been able to open anything it exports in Xtreme directly. I always end up having to re-save in another app. Maybe something similar is happening with sketchup?

There may be some issues in how certain texture mappings, shadows, opacity, line and face styles, and smoothed faces are interperted when printing to a PDF writer.

My advice is to create a variety of small files in SU using a different features, etc., and test them BEFORE building a large/complex model and then being disappointed.