Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Developping Site for Mobile Phone/pda

I am interested in developing sites for viewing on mobile devices. I think this would be a good place to get information from those in the know allready, if you have any info on page sizes, graphics to use or not use etc. i would appreciate any input or if there thread somewhere in the forum that I missed please let me know.
    'I Walk SLOWWWWLY BUT NEVER WALK BACKWARDS'

Default Re: Developping Site for Mobile Phone/pda

Some thoughts:
    1. Page width = 240px. This is safe for most pocket devices. And you should not go wider than 320px.
    2. Avoid scripts and flash as much as possible. i.e. popups, rollovers, snippets etc.
    3. Always make pure text version of all navbars and other button-like links.
    4. Keep it light. Optimise graphics where possible, reduce number of graphic elements.

Remember - due to the absence of the mouse pointer in most pocket devices (touch screen does not provide it), there's no way for visitors to see any "on-mouse over" effects. Thus there's no need to implement them.
    John.

Default Re: Developing Site for Mobile Phone/pda

Here is another thread on the subject.

For what it's worth, I had my brother in law pull up one of the pages I did in XWD on his iPhone and it looked really pretty good. The positioning all worked except for one html form field that extended beyond its bounding box. Also, because there's apparently no way to "hover" your finger over something, the mouseover popups don't work.

Overall, I really didn't expect it to work at all, and it turned out to work pretty good.

Thank you John, Curtis and Slavelle. I appreciate this help and the link. I will give it a try. Andre
    'I Walk SLOWWWWLY BUT NEVER WALK BACKWARDS'