Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    NeilH is offline Xara Group Ltd. Development Manager Member

Default Re: Xtreme Pro 3.2 & Xtreme 3.2 Released!

Thanks for all the comments (so far!) guys.

Here’s some information relating to several of the points that have come up in this thread:-

- Using Gimp as photo editor. This should work. Try changing the file format that’s used to transfer images to and from bitmap editors (Effects & Plug-ins tab of the options dialog). Try selecting png if you’re introducing transparency into an image that doesn’t already have some. See the “Effects & Plug-ins tab” help page for an explanation of the different bitmap transfer options. If you still have problems, please submit details of the Gimp version, example bitmap, etc.

- Win 98 SE support. We’ve officially dropped support for W98, but that’s only really because we no longer test on that platform. It will probably work fine, so try the trial version.

- Trial does not include Magix photo editor. This is only because Magix don’t yet have a time limited trial version of their editor that we could include. And because we include the very latest 2007 version (not an old version as implied by someone in this thread above), we couldn’t just give it away for free with the trial.

- Regarding Remi’s list of problems. The “ominous layer bug” seems only to be a problem with the photos in the downloadable clipart. We’ll fix that soon. You also say “named colors aren't automatically added to the color bar”. Can you explain that comment please? Named colors are no longer created implicitly by 3.2 as they were in older versions (they should never be), but when you create a named color explicitly it appears on the color bar, just as always.

- To ugrade or not to upgrade. As I mentioned in the announcement at the start of this thread, 3.2 is only a point upgrade for Pro users because 3.0 is only a few months old. So some owners may not want to upgrade. But because we’ve made so many general improvements while preparing the release of the new consumer product “MAGIX Xtreme Photo & Graphic Designer”, we wanted to make those improvements available to Pro users as well as Xtreme users now, along with the new filters that have been developed such as XPS and SVG export. There is quite a list of improvements and we expect that many Pro owners will want to have the best version of the program that's available, and that's now definately 3.2.

Thanks

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by NeilH View Post
    There is quite a list of improvements...
    Neil
    Neil,

What improvements have been made to PDF import/export. The comment by Charles Moir in the thread below implies there were some.

Thx,

Steven.

And I'm happy to see that Xtreme is alive and well...

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...283#post210283

Hi Neil,

I'm a little bit confused:

You also say “named colors aren't automatically added to the color bar”. Can you explain that comment please? Named colors are no longer created implicitly by 3.2 as they were in older versions (they should never be), but when you create a named color explicitly it appears on the color bar, just as always.
    Perhaps I don't understand the difference between the old and the new functionality. Found also this text on your "What's new in Xara Xtreme" page:

"In older versions of Xara Xtreme, a new Named Color was created and added to the color line whenever you created a new color. This typically resulted in dozens of Named Colors appearing in the line, even though most of them weren't actually used. This no longer happens. When you create any color (e.g. click one of the Standard Palette colors) it just applies that as a local color to the object. You can of course edit this color using the Color Editor as always (Ctrl+E). Only if you select the 'New Named Color' icon in the color editor is a new Named Color created."

I'm not sure what you mean with "create a new color" together with that this color shows on the color bar? I mean, if I create a shape, select the color editor and choose a color for this shape, this new color is already handled as a local color to the object in Xara Xtreme Pro 3.0.2.781. Only when I choose to create a new "named color", the color bar shows the new named color. If I understand this right, you're saying, this behaviour is not changed. But then I don't understand, what's the difference between 3.0 and 3.2 with this?

Remi
    Last edited by remi; 14 June 2007 at 05:31 PM. Reason: spelling

- To ugrade or not to upgrade. As I mentioned in the announcement at the start of this thread, 3.2 is only a point upgrade for Pro users because 3.0 is only a few months old. So some owners may not want to upgrade. But because we’ve made so many general improvements while preparing the release of the new consumer product “MAGIX Xtreme Photo & Graphic Designer”, we wanted to make those improvements available to Pro users as well as Xtreme users now, along with the new filters that have been developed such as XPS and SVG export. There is quite a list of improvements and we expect that many Pro owners will want to have the best version of the program that's available, and that's now definately 3.2.

Thanks

Neil
    I have upgraded, also thanks to the good convertion rates from dollar to euro,
    but I am not sure what I have upgraded to, I will find out eventually.
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Neil,
    Do you receive Magix Photo Editor when you purchase 3.2 or do you have to wait for the CD?

NeilH is offline Xara Group Ltd. Development Manager Member

Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    Hi Neil,
    But then I don't understand, what's the difference between 3.0 and 3.2 with this?
    Remi
    That text from the web site is a little confusing, so I'll get it changed.

In 2.0 or 3.0, start a new design, draw a rectangle and make it red by clicking on a palette color (one of the diamonds). You'll see a new 'named' color square appear on the color bar. That is not a very useful named color, because it's name is something like "RGB(100%,0,0)". As a result, load many old designs (into 2.0 or 3.0) and the color line is a mass of different named colors like these, and with names like "White 2" and "Black 3". Often somewhere amongst them are some useful named colors that the designer has explicitly given names to, like "Car color", or "Theme color 1". But finding them amongst the useless named colors is not always easy.

So now in 3.2 when you select a shape and click a palette color to change it's color, no named colors are implicitly created. So no new color blobs appear on the color line. But of course you can still create a named color for your "Car color" using the button provided in the color editor. And then that color does appear on the color line, because it's clearly an important named color.

The result is that designs created in 3.2 have on the color bar only named colors that were explicitly created by the designer. Plus of course whatever palette colors are turned on in the color gallery.

A related change in 3.2 to help with this problem in old designs, is the option to not save/load any unused named colors in the design (on by default - see View tab of options dialog).

And 3.2 also shows linked named colors with a smaller color square than the master named colors they are linked to. See web site description for more details on this.

All these changes are intended to result in a less cluttered, clearer color bar.

PDF - I'm pulling together a summary of the changes to PDF import/export made for 3.2. That will appear in the "New Pro PDF ..." thread.

Thanks

Neil

Thank you, Neil. Now I understand and it's a good solution with the new update. So, please forget my previous comment about named colors.

Regards,
    Remi

Thought I would update a confirmation on using Paint Shop Pro as the bitmap/photo editor for Xara Xtreme. It has been stated that version X of PSP works and I will now add that version XI (eleven) works as well.

Which is good news for both Xara and those who own Paint Shop Pro Photo XI.

Here's the pic. Clip art from Xara Xtreme 3.2 gallery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara2pspxi.jpg 
Views:	609 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	38877  
    Last edited by jamesmc; 15 June 2007 at 03:12 AM.

I bought the Pro upgrade and I am glad I did. Not major new tools, but fine tweaks on stuff I use all the time.

It is like your desk chair when you are busy as heck, you would never be able to tell what your chair looks like but you would definetly miss it if it was gone...
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Thumbs up Re: Xtreme Pro 3.2 & Xtreme 3.2 Released!

Quote Originally Posted by raynerj1 View Post
    I bought the Pro upgrade and I am glad I did. Not major new tools, but fine tweaks on stuff I use all the time.

It is like your desk chair when you are busy as heck, you would never be able to tell what your chair looks like but you would definetly miss it if it was gone...
    Thanks for the Post about the New Release! I almost 'Missed' it!
    (T'was out on small Trip South - Pix Soon)
    Tom - Hwy101