Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: What is your feeling about the PDF import in XXP?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • It works perfect for me

4 30.77%
  • I can use it... sometimes

8 61.54%
  • When it starts to confirm 100% to PDF standard, I will use it!

1 7.69%
  • Useless, what is it good for?

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy PDF import - What is it good for?

Hi,

Once again I find that I cannot use the PDF import for serious work.
    At my job I had to create a small JPG version of an advertisement. Great! I thought I just import it into XXP and export it as JPG! :-)

But No! XXP simply fails to understand the PDF file. Judge for your self below are the two files - the original and the XXP version :-(

PDF import in XXP... Well, sort of... :-(
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OriginalPDF.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	38541   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XaraXtremePro.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	38542  

Cheers,

Sten
    "Everything has two sides"

Default Re: PDF import - What is it good for?

I thought they were working on a better pdf import for the upcoming release. Not sure though.

Hi Nesti,
    I feel that I have to reply on this topic and I will state now not all PDF's that I have created in Illy open as I want in XPro but that is the nature of the PDF and there are faults with the export which are being addressed now by Xara. Many of the effects that I have used in Illy have been rendered as bitmaps when saved in Illy but that happens as well when I import a PDF into InDesign if I don't use "smart objects".

I have found if I use the same techniques that I use in InDesign in XPro I can do work at home then take it in to work open it in Illy & carry on working with the file there. Also if I am happy with the work I can take it down to the print room with nearly full confidence that it will print without a hitch with the only reservation that my monitor is not calibrated to the same extent as the ones at work and I all ways check the dark reds if they have been used a lot in my work. It looks like you have imported jpegs into XPro and not tiff's or png files giving you the white background. Also I would use layers for bitmaps and others layers certainly for text and maybe another layer for any other vector work.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Hi netsi

In specific answer to the topic:
    It does a good job of importing vector only pdf from inkscape 0.45 to xara - just so long as long as there is no transparency.

Generally I think Albacore has covered it.

XXP pdf import runs at present as separate process pdf2xar, I also understand it is due to be upgraded.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

No question, there are some errors in the PDF import and also the export filters. Not sure, if the Xara Developers really work on this.

Remi

I can't say for sure about the PDF file at the top of the thread (attach the PDF file and we can test it), but the examples in the other thread all import perfectly into the new 3.2 versions. (i.e. PDF files exported from Illustrator with bitmap transparency).

Fonts are a problem for all applications that import PDF. Where the export has embedded fonts that are subsets - i.e. not full fonts - then no application can import these as editable text because the font and character encodings are all scrambled. (PDF viewers just show the shape outlines - they don't show 'text')

But it's my belief our PDF import is as good as any out there - and demonstrably better than Adobe's own PDF import capabilities of Illustrator. The PDF import has been improved in the upcoming 3.2 release.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Moir View Post
    I
    But it's my belief our PDF import is as good as any out there - and demonstrably better than Adobe's own PDF import capabilities of Illustrator. The PDF import has been improved in the upcoming 3.2 release.
    Thanks for confirming that Charles.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi,

Thank you all for your replies - most arguments I can understand and accept. PDF is not easy to import as it - I believe - is PostScript, which IS a scripting language. So it (can) actually contain code - which can be a bit hard to write interprenters for, I guess... :-)

Anyway I am looking forward for the upgrade, which will be free for download? :-)

I cannot uploade the document, it belongs to a customer and has not yet seen the print :-) Maybe later :-)
    Cheers,

Sten
    "Everything has two sides"

Quote Originally Posted by netsi View Post
    Anyway I am looking forward for the upgrade, which will be free for download? :-)
    You may need to remove the word "free" from the sentence if you've owned Pro for any length of time..

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Moir View Post
    I can't say for sure about the PDF file at the top of the thread (attach the PDF file and we can test it), but the examples in the other thread all import perfectly into the new 3.2 versions. (i.e. PDF files exported from Illustrator with bitmap transparency).
    That's good news.

Remi