Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Error Message in Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    The point is I DO have the error message and was making it known. (See first post in this thread.)

Still the error generated "Internal program error 797.k.no.xt " obviously means something unless it was generated at random!

Next time I just won't bother reporting any error!
    These sorts of error messages do mean something. They are displayed in situations that should never occur and hence there is little point in displaying a message that would mean something to the average user. The program is chock full of checks for these "impossible" situations and including nice error messages for all of them would increase the size of the program considerably. Instead, the program displays this "number and letters" type error message that actually allows the developers to locate the source file and line number of the program code that detected the error situation.

In this particular case the code indicates that a part of a text story (a character, tab, kern, end of line etc) is not contained within a text story object. As the problem happened when you applied the bevel, it is probable that the bevelling operation has somehow corrupted the text story. Do you remember how you applied the bevel (e.g. dragged the handles, typed a value in the infobar)?

As the document can be reloaded ok, the corruption does not appear to be severe. If you post your .xar file then I will have a quick look at it to see if there is any trace of the problem in the file.

Gerry Iles

Quote Originally Posted by GerryI View Post
    These sorts of error messages do mean something. They are displayed in situations that should never occur and hence there is little point in displaying a message that would mean something to the average user. The program is chock full of checks for these "impossible" situations and including nice error messages for all of them would increase the size of the program considerably. Instead, the program displays this "number and letters" type error message that actually allows the developers to locate the source file and line number of the program code that detected the error situation.

In this particular case the code indicates that a part of a text story (a character, tab, kern, end of line etc) is not contained within a text story object. As the problem happened when you applied the bevel, it is probable that the bevelling operation has somehow corrupted the text story. Do you remember how you applied the bevel (e.g. dragged the handles, typed a value in the infobar)?

As the document can be reloaded ok, the corruption does not appear to be severe. If you post your .xar file then I will have a quick look at it to see if there is any trace of the problem in the file.

Gerry Iles
    Attachment sent 'Brass Plaque.xar'

Thanks for confirming that the message does have meaning. Good to hear from a developer.

I posted the file, but it loads fine when loaded again in XXP. Which is why I never posted it before-the error doesn't re-appear. Nor does it re-appear when I redid the file. lol!!!
    Good luck on finding something internal in the file.

Cheers .
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Doug; 29 January 2007 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Neil View Post
    I'm sorry. You never answered the question in your response to Gary. You have now answered it. Thanks. Keep posting.
    Whatever!

Hi,

I just got this error today while applying a "glow" shadow to a piece of column text which was fitted to a curve. I had to kill Xara to get out of the loop.

I hadn't saved it so didn't corrupt the file although I did loose about half an hours work. Nothing I can't redo.

Unfortunately, I can't replicate it now - sorry.