Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: How do you insert tables on webpages?

But in in an HML table file, you can populate with dynamic test from the website, but with that particular table you have to manually enter the 'Text'..for instance if I wanted to insert a Table and populate the table with external file you couldn't. Or am I wrong?
    Jim
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    But in in an HML table file, you can populate with dynamic test from the website, but with that particular table you have to manually enter the 'Text'..for instance if I wanted to insert a Table and populate the table with external file you couldn't. Or am I wrong?
    Jim
    Correct. XWD is NOT a Dynamic page creation tool. One problem which will come up a lot is XWD is such a great tool in one respect that many will seek to integrate it with dynamic content, javascript libraries, PHP etc. They may find it is more work than it is worth.
    This, I believe, is why Xara was sure to point out that for an advanced designer, XWD is more of a rapid prototyping tool.
    IP

@Scotty:
    That's right, Curtis and Gary are explaining 'table' as a set of data arranged in rows and columns. These are graphically created using WD's drawing and text tools.

What you are talking about is a HTML element ( <table> ) which indicates structure in an HTML document and a way of hierarchically arranging content.

WD doesn't support this kind of HTML.
    (Though remember, placeholders are your friend
    IP

Yes, placeholders give everything.
    I just thought to myself, the hardcore codeslingers should be very happy with WD. Why? Simply - we give them placeholder box, mostly similar to the NotePad.
    John.
    IP

Would it not be possible to use an <iframe> placeholder and load a page into that that has a HTML table?
    IP

Placeholder: Take a peek.

(Make sure that you save your spreadsheet file for later editing.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	table-test.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	57745  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

This, of course, would be an option for ANY exported output, from ANY application that can generate representative HTML code.
    IP

Hi Cursor,
    Ok I was but that is utilizing an Excel spreadsheet saved as HTML, then incorporating the Iframe to hold the information, not the Xara designer table to hold it.
    JimP.S.
    I am not trying to start an arguement just trying to unterstand how various work arounds are accomlished in WD.
    Jim
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    Placeholder: Take a peek.

(Make sure that you save your spreadsheet file for later editing.)
    Just for information: this page would NOT validate and may even have display issues due to the fact there are 2 header sections and 2 body sections - an html no-no.
    Second, any text grouped in XWD is now a graphic and will NOT be indexed at all by the search engines. You put all your table text in a graphic and as far as the search engines are concerned your site is talking about nothing.
    IP

I know nothing (yet) about "validation" (nor why it might be important).
    I know little (currently) about search engine validation.

So, why wouldn't the table 'validate'.
    And, how would you present the table for responsible SEO?

Thanks.
    IP