Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Update not working...

Thank you to everyone that responded to my request. And Doug9, YOU ARE RIGHT!!! Thank you for your fix. To everyone else having an issue, follow Doug9's lead. As ridiculous as it is, instead of updating your 18.5 version of the software as it states, you are downloading an entirely new software version and it's saved as Xara Designer Pro X (19). When you click on it, it makes you register the software as if it's brand new with your serial number and email address. It makes sense now why it was asking me to delete the program as 18.5 was separate software. If you're like me, I have my program icons along the bottom of the screen and that's where I click to use them. I did that with my Xara Designer Pro X icon, assuming I was starting the updated version, but no, as Doug9 stated, it again asked for me to update. Yes, going in circles. Going into the start menu (windows) and either search for Xara, or click into the apps section you will find both 18.5 and (19) versions. That is the craziest thing. So weird. But thank you Doug9, I would have never found that, or just stumbled across it one day.

Info Re: Update not working...

Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Thank you to everyone that responded to my request. And Doug9, YOU ARE RIGHT!!! Thank you for your fix. To everyone else having an issue, follow Doug9's lead. As ridiculous as it is, instead of updating your 18.5 version of the software as it states, you are downloading an entirely new software version and it's saved as Xara Designer Pro X (19). When you click on it, it makes you register the software as if it's brand new with your serial number and email address. It makes sense now why it was asking me to delete the program as 18.5 was separate software. If you're like me, I have my program icons along the bottom of the screen and that's where I click to use them. I did that with my Xara Designer Pro X icon, assuming I was starting the updated version, but no, as Doug9 stated, it again asked for me to update. Yes, going in circles. Going into the start menu (windows) and either search for Xara, or click into the apps section you will find both 18.5 and (19) versions. That is the craziest thing. So weird. But thank you Doug9, I would have never found that, or just stumbled across it one day.
    Tazz, for what it's worth, here is the logic.

• You are licensed for two installs.
      • If you only use one machine, you can end up with v18.5 and v19.0 both installed.
      • If you have installed on two machines, the "update" will complain that you have to de-activate one of them.

• It is an "update" as it will transfer all your user configurations from old to new.
    • If you uninstall the old first (always a bad idea), you get a new clean install and lose all your settings.
    • Not having v18.5/v19.0 myself, Magix should have pasted a new icon onto your desktop.
      • In the bad old days, the icons would have looked different.

• MagiXara always required you type in the Licence (Serial number) afresh.
      • Never uninstall without noting the Licence (Serial number): you can do this on a Magix XDA by pressing Shift+Ctrl+Alt+1.
      • If you uninstall and re-install, you will revert down the the last registered and purchased version so you could lose a year's worth of updates.
      • Always keep a record of you purchase email.
      • Always log into Magix's Service desk and ensure your product is safely registered.

• Unless you have prior versions at v10 & v11, XWDP or XDPX, then you now only have the one Serial number and so you will only have two install of the same version or a mix from the version you first bough up to present. I have 20 different Serial numbers.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn,

If you have installed on two machines, the "update" will complain that you have to de-activate one of them.
    Nope. It goes by device.

When I purchased the Upgrade recently (after more than 2 years out of service), Magix simply extended the update service period and the existing version stopped nagging me and I now had access to the online catalogue.

On my desktop, I have versions 15, 18.5 and 19. On my laptop, I have 16 and 19. I can open all of them without complaint; no message to deactivate a device. No problems with multiple versions on 2 devices. The problem arises if one makes substantial changes to the hardware or OS and Magix detects it as a different device, or a third computer was involved.

When I upgraded to v19 from 18.5 (there was an update message), a new icon was placed on my desktop. Below are the icons and you can see that the versions are indicated for the last two even though the icon itself was not changed. The 19 icon was added with the installation (there is a screen asking if you want the icon added to the desktop - yes, by default).

Name:  Xara icons.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  986 Bytes

The older versions were not removed. The Xara icon in my tray was for 18. If the program had been removed, the icon would have been removed (or blanked) as well. Since it was still there, its shortcut was not changed and still pointed to v18. Like others, I found this out by clicking on it and quickly realized that this opened version 18, which it should have. One should not expect the installer to take care of putting the icon in the tray, this is what a user does.

Most Magix programs remove the previous version, thus the icon disappears from the tray or becomes a blank and doesn't work. This is normal.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

John, thanks for the clarification. All your versions are using the same Serial number?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn,

Same serial number for all mentioned. I have older serial numbers for each of versions 9 to 11, but only one since, under 365 for 12 onwards.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Same for me with the 365 program; no issue with retaining previous versions on a desktop, but the 365 product ONLY provides the latest subscribed release.

I have Pro X v18.5 and Pro X v19.0 on two devices, all works as expected - though for me, still a Pro X v19 issue with correctly populating the Local Designs Gallery (have an open ticket with Magix and running some log files for them).

Recently, deleted v16.3 and v17.0 from the desktops, but they were still operational and working at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    Acorn,
    Same serial number for all mentioned. I have older serial numbers for each of versions 9 to 11, but only one since, under 365 for 12 onwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    Same for me with the 365 program; no issue with retaining previous versions on a desktop, but the 365 product ONLY provides the latest subscribed release.
    I have Pro X v18.5 and Pro X v19.0 on two devices, all works as expected - though for me, still a Pro X v19 issue with correctly populating the Local Designs Gallery (have an open ticket with Magix and running some log files for them).
    Recently, deleted v16.3 and v17.0 from the desktops, but they were still operational and working at the time.
    Thank you both, the logic I spouted was wrong!
    I should have realised I was skew as I was recalling trying to install a second version after the service had expired.
    So if you delete one of the versions, you won't be able to register it again as I found out.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 26 March 2022 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Thank you both, the logic I spouted was wrong!
    I should have realised I was skew as I was recalling trying to install a second version after the service had expired.
    So if you delete one of the versions, you won't be able to register it again as I found out.

Acorn
    I found out the same thing.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

This year again Magix is asking if I want to do the Update Service for another year as of late April. What am I really getting for that and what happens if I do not? Can I still run the program without it or is this like paying a subscription?

Thanks,

Tim

Info Re: Update not working...

Quote Originally Posted by TKI View Post
    This year again Magix is asking if I want to do the Update Service for another year as of late April. What am I really getting for that and what happens if I do not? Can I still run the program without it or is this like paying a subscription?
    Thanks, Tim
    Tim, we have scattered many Threads around on this topic. One is https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...Update-Service with an update at http://acorn.xara.hosting/xda/.

The long and short of it is:
    • You keep a licence to run what is installed.
    • You lose access to on-line content - you need to Download All in the Local Designs gallery fairly quickly.
    • You should install a second licensed version on another machine. If not and you have to e-install, you revert to the registered version, losing a year of "updates", some of which you might need.
    • You can skip updates as long as you like and buy back in at a discount. Fine if you are a hobbyist.
    • Xara Designer Pro+ is Xara's flagship subscription. You lose access when you stop paying so always keep a Magix version installed.

I jumped to XPro+ and the more frequent updates (~6 vs Magix's two a year) ensure I have the best available for professional work. I still have XDPXv18.0, v17.1, v15, v12, ... installed.

Acorn