Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Hard drive or CPU

good point - need to deactivate those programs that require it such as xara first, change of system drive equates to change of computer for these
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes my only worries is the moving the programs, apparently crucial has it all figured out and takes you through it with their free software. I can also buy 500G for around $64 from them. I was going to buy a pc gaming computer this christmas or boxing day to run xara.

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Yes my only worries is the moving the programs, apparently crucial has it all figured out and takes you through it with their free software. I can also buy 500G for around $64 from them. I was going to buy a pc gaming computer this Christmas or boxing day to run xara.
    Personally I would try the SSD. You may be more than happy with the result. The concerns you have about program registration will be no different whether you swap drives or swap machines.

You deregister Xara on your machine.
    Clone the disk.
    Swap drives.
    Re register the machine with Xara.

A large part of the cost of any gaming PC is a powerful video card - something which Xara software will make no use of.
    It may also have a powerful processor with multiple cores - Xara will not make much use of Multiple cores.
    Of course, if you are also a hardcore gamer or plan to take up 3D rendering it might be different!

An "ordinary" PC with a reasonable processor, good amount of RAM, and an SSD is probably a better way to go.

I think this is "Deja Vue" because we've had this discussion before I think..

Thanks Paul. I will try the upgrade first and see what happens. I used to do 3d, may one day get back to it, not sure. Pc gaming is fun, I bought a few but this system hardly does a good job at it. Yes Deja Vue, your so smart. I did bring this up now that I thought about it way back. LOL I am going insane, must be effect of corona taking the world by storm I feel like a zombie.

So is Magix or xara lying about multicore

here is magix website
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_1.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	127727  

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Thanks Paul. I will try the upgrade first and see what happens. I used to do 3d, may one day get back to it, not sure. Pc gaming is fun, I bought a few but this system hardly does a good job at it. Yes Deja Vue, your so smart. I did bring this up now that I thought about it way back. LOL I am going insane, must be effect of corona taking the world by storm I feel like a zombie.

So is Magix or xara lying about multicore

here is magix website
    AFAIK Xara doesn't use multicore very much, but others may know better than me. Let's say others will DEFINITELY know better than me.

xara pro/p&g have multiprocessor support - this might make a difference if the computer is busy doing other things as the program can swap from one cpu core to another to avoid slowing down too much - this is not the same thing as saying it can work faster by utilising more at the same time, maybe it can but I have never noticed such a difference myself, nor have I ever seen any thing more specific from xara than said 'multiprocessor support'

we are back to pipelines - to how fast the program modules can make use of the available resource and how much of it at any one time
    Nothing lasts forever...

Personally I wouldn't go through all the bother of removing the old internal HDD to replace it with a internal SSD. Just purchase an external SSD linked to the laptop via a USB port. Clone the HHD to the external SSD, make the extrernal SSD the boot drive. You could either set up a dual boot operation or just use the old internal HDD as a secondary drive.

There may be issues of speed of read/write transfer due to the type of USB port but I've found any SSD I've installed operates far faster than a HDD.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

God idea Egg.

Your USB ports on that laptop will probably be USB 2 (ie slow) - an external USB will operate far more slowly than it would if you did it internally, the whole point was to speed up your machine!

The swapover of drives is easily achievable within an hour, ask a friend or just take it to a friendly computer shop (less than 15 mins for them) and ask "how much to swap?"

OK, now no more advice from me on this subject.

at the very least you would need USB 3.1 preferably superspeed; USB 2 is not going to cut it that's down by a factor of 10

I don't have figures to hand re the loss of performance relative to internal SATA [external SATA another matter but not an option here with this laptop]

apart from anything else the thought of a system disk connected by USB that might get accidently pulled out at the wrong time goes against my every instinct as a long time self-builder of computing machines [oh I love the excuse to call one a machine again ]

it's an accident waiting to happen... and could screw the system up
    Nothing lasts forever...