The RF unit is a nrf24l01+ (SMD type) 2.4ghz covers a wide spectrum including microwave cookers and wifi. I will sit in a band above wifi, away from Microwave ovens and still in the legal band.

In my application the donge talks to 2 other devices and they periodically every 1-3 seconds send data to the dongle and then to the PC application where the user can use said data.
The main aim is simplicity if I use WIFI modules then I have to set up a device as server. That is not easy and the PIC is just an 8bit device. Using HID its simple. Plug the dongle in and the PC sees it. No divers needed, no selecting serial ports that number changes with the port you plug it into.
Turn on your other devices and the connect instantly with the dongle. Change device to another one. No problems, there are only 2 types. It will take the first one seen of each.

The range only has to be a few meters so the PCB antenna is fine.

BTW spoken to my PC programmer and he says the permissions needed to allow a WEB app to get to the USB port are large and will not make the system seamless.

Thanks

Tim