Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cant upload anymore (Web-Designer 10)

Hello
    I'm still use Web-Designer 10.
    I opend a saved webside, mad some changes, and tried to upload this new version.
    I tried "over write" or "full", I always get an error message (general FTP Error)
    With my hoster I checked all adresses and passwords, should be ok, but still this error comes.

I havent used Webdesigner 10 for along time. In the time between, I changed from Win-7 64 to Win-10 64. Could this be the problem?
    What else could be the problem?
    thanks

Default Re: Cant upload anymore (Web-Designer 10)

Hello Volki

Can you connect to your web host with an FTP program such as Filezilla? https://filezilla-project.org/

Yes?

Publish your site to a folder. I publish to a folder on my desktop.

Then use Filezilla (or any FTP program) to upload the contents of the folder to your web host.

Also, your Internet Security program might be stopping you.

Thank you Gary
    Sorry, I'm late I know.

In Webdesigner 10 (programm is in German language) I created once a document. It is called “greece-1.web” and so I uploaded it to my hoster. Now I mad some alternation and tried to upload this document but I always get a "General FDP error"

Now you recommended, I try to upload with Filezilla. What I did
    Now there is a new problem.
    My document from Webdesigner has a suffix….xxxxx .web
    When I upload this with Filezilla, I can see the new document on my hoster’s side, but it is "unreadable".
    It seems, all other documents there, have suffix. xxxx.htm

How can I "translate" a document with suffix xxxx.web to suffix xxxx htm?

A time ago, when I uploaded a document with the upload function in Webdesigner 10 to my hoster, somehow the document was “translated”, because all my document are xxx.web, but all documents in my hoster are .xxxx. htm

Is it possible that the Update from Windows-7 Pro to Windows-10 Pro is the culprit?

Hi ,
    The xxx.web extension is a Xar file extension. You have to 'publish' the *.web to a folder on your system then use Filezila to uppload it to the host system. When you publish from Xara program it exports as an Htm file.
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Funny, but I've just had the latest upgrade to Designer12 and now I can't upload a site that has been changed and uploaded regularly. It gets to 90% then seems to get stock on the cascading style sheets, css.ani so not too happy right now with Designer....any help to resolve this? It really did happen immediately after the last upgrade a few nights ago.

Hi Volki

Yes the *.web file is the document file that you open and save in Web Designer. It is also often a large file and it you try to upload it to your web host it will take a long time.

Hi Stewart. To the best of my knowledge Xara produces a file 'ani.css'. Are you using additional add-on animation that's creating 'css.ani'?
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg

I'm assuming you mean Xara doesn't produce a file called css.ani? ;-) I don't use any other software to produce graphics in this site, and in fact there isn't even a widget running; it is all DesignerPro365. I was assuming the 'css' referred to cascading style sheets, and it was an animation maybe referring to navbar transitions or self expanding thumbnails. But the upload has gone stupidly slow and all since the 9th Nov, and 16th, update.

If this was the norm upload time, and I'm not saying it is, I would be dumping Xara, which I've used, every issue, since CorelXara, and looking at something else, it really is that slow.

I've put a support ticket in and they've replied so as soon as I have time I'll see if this resolves the issue, but looking at it I don't this is a simple registry edit and timeout increase, but will keep everybody informed as Gary says it is proving quite a common problem...ish :-)

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Hello Volki

Can you connect to your web host with an FTP program such as Filezilla? https://filezilla-project.org/

Yes?

Publish your site to a folder. I publish to a folder on my desktop.

Then use Filezilla (or any FTP program) to upload the contents of the folder to your web host.

Also, your Internet Security program might be stopping you.
    I am having the same problem with 365!!! please help how do I publish to my desk top

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyD View Post
    I am having the same problem with 365!!! please help how do I publish to my desk top
    Anthony, you don't "publish" to your Desktop, you would Export to a folder and never the Desktop. Such a folder might be on your Desktop but that is usually not a good idea as you may delete it in a spring-cleaning urge.

Pick a safe location, which holds data and not applications.
    Call the folder Xara Exports and add a sub-folder for each and every website. I also have a further sub-folder setup for Design (holding web / xar files) and master material and a Website folder for the stuff I am going to publish.
    There is not need to upload / publish a web / xar file anywhere; it is the file with which you amend and re-export the HTM files, JPG adn PNG images and other assets that make your website render. I personally save my Design work to Dropbox for security and all Xara backups are pointed to a different drive as well.

You can set up your own approach but always be consistent.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat