Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: About Xara's always-online hardware-hashing DRM

thanks for the summary acorn - I am sure oops will appreciate it...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Acorn.

This is good info. I did check yesterday and the new DRM system is imposed by Magix and applies to practically all their current software.

Will downloading the content packs negate the need for the recurring 30 day re-activation?

As an aside, do you know why I can't PM the admins?

you need a certain number of posts first to get PM privelige
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Oops View Post
    Hi Acorn.
    This is good info. I did check yesterday and the new DRM system is imposed by Magix and applies to practically all their current software.
    Will downloading the content packs negate the need for the recurring 30 day re-activation?
    As an aside, do you know why I can't PM the admins?
    Oops, there is absolutely no 30-day re-activation. My earlier Post and its third quote show that if you muck up in de-activating and re-activating, then you can access the Service Center for a self-help reset. This part is the 30-day limitation. It also, however, dos state if you really muck up then a call to Xara sales will work.

While you cannot presently PM the admins, you could use the Report Post mechanism if you wish to address something only viewed by the Moderators.
    In our Forums, you try the Moderators not admin. If there is a problem with the Forums themselves there is a TalkGraphics questions, suggestions and feedback Forum.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Oops, there is absolutely no 30-day re-activation.
    I think you'll find there is if you care to find out. The background service is well documented on Magix's website, including a little note about giving users "a few" days to get back online if they are disconnected at re-activation time.

Then that is a change in all likelihood. The scheme is unlike any other software I have installed. Which is a lot of software.

acorn [and mike] I think what oops is referring to is the fact that you cannot reactivate any activation activated on xara site until 30 days has passed [complicated by the fact that you can have two activations running at the same time on different computers] - this is different to deactivating from within the program...this is how it is for my xdp11
    Nothing lasts forever...

I can't remember a time that a Xara update/s has had so many non-update related posts re new features. The update threads have been dominated by the introduction of this DRM.

It really is time that Xara stepped forward and explained the reasoning behind this inclusion, the consequences of it's inclusion and the possible dire consequences of changing your systems setup. Kate has intervened one or two times but Xara hasn't answered customers concerns/problems regarding this matter.

Come on Xara, supply us with a definitive guide to this inclusion and it's possible pitfalls.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Oops View Post
    I think you'll find there is if you care to find out. The background service is well documented on Magix's website, including a little note about giving users "a few" days to get back online if they are disconnected at re-activation time.
    Oops, I do care to find out so from http://www.magix.com/gb/support/tech...upport/#c69706, we have:
    LICENSE VERIFICATION Most MAGIX products are now outfitted with a P3 serial number and need to be registered and activated when they are launched for the first time following installation. Software with a P3 serial number cannot be started until this is done. Based on the registration and activation, the software is assigned to the device on which it was installed. You can change this device once a month through the MAGIX Service Center. Version 2015 products can be easily deactivated through the help menu or by uninstalling the product. Please note that the program requires an Internet connection at least once a month to validate the license. This validation runs in the background when you are connected to the Internet. If the license cannot be validated because a connection to the license server cannot be established, the program will notify you. You can then continue to use the software without an Internet connection for a few more days. Of course, it is otherwise still possible to use the software offline. The regular licence validations help you minimize purchase risk by means of a 30-day money-back guarantee and also allow you to update to an annual license such as MAGIX Video 360.

Read more: http://www.magix.com/gb/support/technical-support/
    Perhaps you can spare the time to present the equivalent from Xara's documentation? From reading this, it seems to cover a 30-day recurring purchase of some particular MAGIX product.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

acorn

you might like to look at post #67 here from Rob of Xara:
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...497#post535497

in particular:

your activation will unlock after 30 days anyway (the installation checks every 30 days as to whether it's still valid. If it can't do this, the license gets unlocked and you can reuse it).

that rather does mean you will become unlicenced if you are off the web for more than 30 days.... and another question is whether or not you have to manually reactivate when you go back on-line?
    Nothing lasts forever...