Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Operation Timed Out when publishing web site

Using P&GD 2013, when attempting to publish a single page website, the panel shows "Uploading" , but the percentage remains at 0%, then the error box appears: Error from Xara Photo and Graphics designer 2013.
    The Operation Timed Out.

I have published two previous one-page websites with the same programme, and had no problems.
    Can this be a problem with Xara, or the server?
    Thanks, Bev

Default Re: Operation Timed Out when publishing web site

From experience it can be the server. The quickest way to find out is to publish the site using filezilla. Download it and add the site details, export the site (not publish) from within xara and then upload all the files and folders using filezilla, if you are still having problems then it is the server, if it uploads fine using filezilla then xara is the problem.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Bev, are you publishing to the right sub-directory? If you forget to do this, and try to publish to the root directory (this assumes that you need to publish to a sub directory), you might not have permissions set to publish in that directory.

Quote Originally Posted by bev mcquain View Post
    the panel shows "Uploading" , but the percentage remains at 0%, then the error box appears: Error from Xara Photo and Graphics designer 2013.
    The Operation Timed Out.
    Bev, I have had this on occasions and I have found when I checked with Filezilla that the site elements had published.
    I find that if I can click into and use the main Xara application and the panel disappears then the site has published.

I also added ClourFlare, it caches your site, and I have found if I don't set it into Developer Mode, it appears that the site hasn't published; it has, but only appears a few hours later. You may have tweaked something similar in your settings and not realised the implication.

Definitely use Filezilla as it allows you to control your uploads and check when and what has published.

Acorn

Bev, just today I added a new image to a Site I developed and tried to Export it.
    It crashed so I checked my computer's available memory and saw the usage rise to 1.3GB before it crashed again.
    I then realised that I had not be Optimising all the images I had been adding so I looked in the Bitmap gallery and saw images sitting there with very high DPIs.
    After optimising, the Export memory was well under 400MB.

If you were Publishing, Xara stages you through an Export first and I think this is where your error is arising.

Try out Utilities > Optimise all images..., but remember to ensure you have all your source images stored elsewhere; I use Google's Picasa and drag and drop from it into Xara.

Acorn

P.S. My site is still uploading at 13%... at the moment.