Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Using Xara clipart and photos in publications

Hi there,

Over the years I've used photos and clipart that came with programs like Xara or CorelDraw to design fliers and so on, but now I am writing a technical book.

When it comes to including quotes I contact the author to obtain permission, and provide a footnote and bibliography, citing the author, date, publication, etc.

Regarding clipart and photos that are provided by Xara, what are the rules? Are they allowed to be used in a publication that will be sold? Do I need to provide a footnote and reference to Xara in the bibliography? Can artwork or photos be altered? Would it be enough to provide a note in the 'notes' page, referring to Xara?

Thanks for any advice you may have,

James

Default Re: Using Xara clipart and photos in publications

Xara pictures nice but resolution not good printing in the book or anywhere. What technical book your write that need the bad clipart of the butterfly? Try http://www.istockphoto.com cheap and much better!

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Hellma View Post
    Xara pictures nice but resolution not good printing in the book or anywhere. What technical book your write that need the bad clipart of the butterfly? Try http://www.istockphoto.com cheap and much better!
    Thanks Angela.

I hadn’t noticed the photos were low res. I guess my question would be limited to the Xara clipart (vector) that can be exported as a high res bitmap. Shift-F10 and scroll down to 'Examples Xtreme drawings 2', and down to ‘Watch’, for instance. If you changed the word ‘Xara’ on that picture to something else, exported it as a 300 dpi bitmap and used it in a book, would that require any notifications, or is the clipart free to use however you like?

From the 'Legal' stuff Xara Designer Pro 6; pretty much the same as it has been from earlier versions:

F. RESTRICTIONS

This license gives you the right to publish, distribute and display images created with this Software, incorporating photos, clipart and fills included with this Software, with the following limitations:

1. You may not incorporate into your own work, publish, display or distribute any images from the 'Example Xara Designer Drawings' folders in the designs gallery, or any other images which are identified by Xara as being provided with permission of the copyright holders for the sole purpose of demonstrating the possibilities of the software.

2.The templates, graphics, textures, photos and fonts supplied with the Software cannot be redistributed, sold or published as an image collection or part of an image collection, specifically but not exclusively they cannot be included in template, clip-art, font, texture or photo collections whether on websites or distributed on electronic media such as CDs or disks, nor can they be included as part of another product, in any form whether commercial or otherwise. Notwithstanding the foregoing you may include the template, graphic, photo or font as part of your project which may be used for your own or your customer's purposes.

3.The photos included in the Software's templates can be used and distributed for personal purposes, but any commercial redistribution may require the purchase of an extended license from Xara or its Licensors. Contact Xara Group Ltd for details.

4. Any copyright notices which are included in the HTML, Javascript or other code exported by the Software must not be removed or modified.

5. Some fonts and clip-art is provided by third parties who retain the copyright. In all cases copyright is reserved by Xara or its licensors and is protected by international copyright law.

6. You may not use the images created with this Software for any purpose which is prohibited by law.
    ~Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Fred C View Post
    From the 'Legal' stuff Xara Designer Pro 6; pretty much the same as it has been from earlier versions:
    F. RESTRICTIONS
    Thanks very much for that, Fred. I guess that rules out using that clipart. I like to check with all authors and art sources about these things before using anything. This morning I wrote to shutterstock.com who provide stock photos, and give a free high res photo away every day, about whether I can use some of those in my book. It's one thing to 'give it away', but another as to whether they come with all permissions. The other day I received permission from snopes.com to quote one of their articles. Some authors ask for a payment to use a quote, but then there are ways around this, by simply rewording the information.

If you reduce the photos to 32% and if the size is OK, then the resolution will be fine. But at screen resolution (96dpi) the resolution is not usable.

You cannot use any of the images in Xara Example Drawings 1 or 2 without permission. These are included in Designer Pro 6 and Photo and Graphics Designer 6 to let users see how the artists created the image.

Yeah, I think the idea is to create your own images with Xara and not for Xara to provide you with a clip art gallery to use. Basically from reading the EULA I get that the clip art is to be used as examples and to enhance your graphic creations not to be a source of graphics as is.
    Get out and do something. Find a group and engage with other people @ MEETUP.COM