Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Forum Registration is a joke but I am not laughing

If you remind me what they were I can post them to my gallery if I remember how that's done. I'm sure I still have them, I tend not to throw anything away.
    Dunno. If you had so much trouble registering...

I wonder if there were absolutely no restrictions or screening of new members if there would be those who complain about the lack of security? Or that the process was too simple.

Just musing.
    IP

Of course there would be Gary
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64
    IP

Bug Re: Forum Registration is a joke but I am not laughing

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I wonder if there were absolutely no restrictions or screening of new members if there would be those who complain about the lack of security?.
    I suppose that would all depend upon the unofficial official position of the moderating team.

IP

As far as I can see the only people to blame for anti-spam measures are spammers, and those who buy from them.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by jwhitham View Post
    As far as I can see the only people to blame for anti-spam measures are spammers, and those who buy from them.
    The anti-spam measures on this forum do not stop spammers, they only stop spambots. The only thing that stops spammers is active moderation, and we don't lack for that on this forum. Unfortunately the Xhris episode proves that you an take active moderation too far, as confirmed by the subsequent actions of Xara, owners of this forum. I guess it is true to say that there are valid arguments for and against aggressive anti-spam measures on a forum and it is left up to the individual to stay or leave in the face of these measures. If you are a Xara graphics addict, you will persevere and stay and, hopefully, contribute positively. Remember, once you are registered, there are still plenty of subliminal ways to spam your commercial message in this forum so that it is picked up by Google. But you have to use finesse and tact because of that active moderation, and the average spammer knows as much about finesse and tact as does the average wild boar. So, even though signatures are banned, those with finesse and tact can and will continue to spam their message. And that's fine with me as long as nobody minds.
    IP

Wink Re: Forum Registration is a joke but I am not laughing

Quote Originally Posted by beretgascon View Post
    So, even though signatures are banned, those with finesse and tact can and will continue to spam their message. And that's fine with me as long as nobody minds.
    I like your username!
    Last edited by HayTay; 03 July 2010 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Changed wording
    IP

Indeed, and that's just one way. There's plenty more
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by beretgascon View Post
    the Xhris episode proves that you an take active moderation too far
    Please do not even try to discuss the "Chris episode". There is too much left behind the scenes for anyone here to make ANY sensible conclusions (except moderators, Xara team and Chris).
    This was a dispute between Xara and moderators. No members involved. So please stay away from it.
    Thank you for understanding.
    John.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    This was a dispute between Xara and moderators. No members involved.
    I think you'll find that Chris is a member.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Please do not even try to discuss the "Chris episode".
    I'm not. I'm just agreeing with Charles Moir. I wasn't going to discuss it because I wasn't involved in it, but your repeated insistence that this event must be expunged from our collective memory (and so treating the membership as serfs) is offensive to me, and maybe others, who knows? Charles made his and Xara's position quite clear. Let me remind you what he said:

• "OK guys enough with the pointless speculation, this is the position from the horses mouth."
    • "In fact Chris broke no rule, but was banned"
    • "So all we did was point out that SOME moderation was poor"
    • "some posts, that were in our opinion perfectly legitimate and broke no rules were being deleted"
    • "we were objecting to too much censoring"
    • "yes the moderators were moderated"
    • "The moderation of the forum has generally been excellent, but nothing is perfect"
    • "to expect total carte blanch control over the forums that we own and pay for is naive"

If you disagree with any of the above, please take it up with Charles.

Now, if there are no more points to be made on the topic of "Forum Registration is a joke but I am not laughing" then why not lock this to prevent any further discussion of the undiscussable?

This is a do-it-yourself test for paranoia: you know you've got it when you can't think of anything that's your fault.
    Robert M. Hutchins
    IP

he's just scared Frank

leave it be..
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP