Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default MultiPage PDF Import problem

I am unable to import a multi-page PDF into Xara Xtreme Pro 5.12 using Windows 7 (it also didn't work in Xara Xtreme 3.2 using XP Professional). I am unable to upload the file because even a two page document is over your limit.

I am trying to save comic books as PDF. I scan them and saved them to a PDF file, first as text which didn't work and then as photos, which didn't work either.

There were so many things I tried, I can't remember them all. The funny thing is, when they Open (or Import, neither works), Xara usually displays the correct number of pages. They are even portrait or landscape, as I set them in the PDF. But the multi-page document is either all blank or at the best, one or two scattered pages.

The text to curve was grayed out, a previous tip, but there is no text. It's all handdrawn graphics.

Thanks.

Default Re: PDF import problem

PDF in/out, it's not an exact science Ceal

You have my email address, send me the PDF and I can make a link available for other to help as well.

Default Re: PDF import problem for multiple pages

Quote Originally Posted by Ceal View Post

I am trying to save comic books as PDF. I scan them and saved them to a PDF file, first as text which didn't work and then as photos, which didn't work either.
    Hi

I am sure Steve [sledger] will take care of the pdf/xtreme issue

However, some thoughts from me:

scanning work as bitmap [PNG or BMP say] and importing that into xtreme to save as PDF works fine for me - and I do a lot of it

what confuses me is why you need to import PDF into xtreme - unless you have one of those very rare beasts, a scanner that scans directly to vector

one thing with PDF, the page setting needs to be correct - anything off the page tends to get lost

if you are scanning directly to PDF, I'd try it the other way...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Ceal,
    I've had no problems opening a multi-page PDF in XX5 (opening, not importing). Just tried a 38 page document (a RealTek users manual) and it opened without a problem and each page had all it's own page numbers, footers, etc.

Jim

Default Re: PDF import problem for multiple pages

[I am sure Steve [sledger] will take care of the pdf/xtreme issue

I hope so, Handrawn. However, I don't have Steve's-mail address to send the PDF file. It's at work and I won't be back until Tuesday.

However, some thoughts from me:

scanning work as bitmap [PNG or BMP say] and importing that into xtreme to save as PDF works fine for me - and I do a lot of it

Yes, that's normally how I do it too. I scan as JPGS.

what confuses me is why you need to import PDF into xtreme - unless you have one of those very rare beasts, a scanner that scans directly to vector

Scanning to PDF is a convenience. These are not single panel cartoons but multi-page comic books. Since I was drawing them as roughs, sometimes one panel would be a whole page. When you have 38 pages or so, then it's time-consuming to create a 38 page document in Xara and bring them in one at a time.

one thing with PDF, the page setting needs to be correct - anything off the page tends to get lost

[IThe pages are correct.. They show up fine in PDF Reader and when one or two show up in Xara (sometimes if I have 15 pages or so, one or two show up), they are fine.[/I]

if you are scanning directly to PDF, I'd try it the other way...[/QUOTE]

sledger [at] gmail [dot] com

Info Re: PDF import problem

Ceal,

File > Import > 'xxxxxxxx.PDF' and then choosing 'Insert' usually seems to work for me. If they're single page PDFs then, unfortunately, you'll have to import them one at a time.

On the other hand if your scanner software will support some feature like 'append' or 'combine' you can scan all of your originals, one at a time, into a multi-page PDF. Then you can import the entire file (depending on the size of the file) into XXP5 in one fell swoop.

In summary, scanned as individual pages, import as individual pages. Scan into a multi-page PDF file or combine single page PDF files using Adobe Acrobat or similar PDF editor and insert into XX as multiple pages. I've actually opened PDF files with over a hundred pages in XXP5 without an issue.

Does that help?,
    Harry

Yes, that's exactly what I did. I scanned them as a multiple page PDF and then choose Insert. It didn't work. Neither did Merge. Open didn't work any btter than Import.

Question Re: PDF import problem

Any idea what PDF version the scanner software is saving the files as? Can you can them as TIFF files instead of saving the scanned panels in PDF format? Can you post a smaller sized PDF file that exhibits the symptoms you've described? Also, at what resolution are you scanning the images (in other words, how big are the images that are being embedded in the PDF file)?

Xtreme Pro 5 couldn't do anything with them, neither could WD6.

What I did then was to open the *.PDF with the default reader, then 'Print to PDF' using the CutePDF print driver I have installed.

This then opened up in WD6 with all pages and all drawings, but not Xtreme Pro 5.

This I saved to *.web then opened in Xtreme Pro 5 and saved as *.xar

Here's my WD6 consult.web 10.2mb
    And the XXP5 consult.xar 10.2mb

Here's Ceal's original *.PDF files

[1] HT_Consultant_Comic.pdf 4.03mb
    [2] consult.pdf 4.82mb