Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default WD6 Web Page Backgrounds

Hi all,

I've noticed that there are 2 layers to the WD6 page back-drop:
    1. The "white square" which you can change ("Page Background" layer)
    2. The actual background behind the "Page Background", the editing desktop

Recently, I've noticed that if you modify either one, they both show up on export. Whereas if you don't do anything, it remains all white.

I like this feature, but haven't heard much about how it works together. It used to be that if you dropped a color or an image into the "page background" layer, it would be the background. However, after accidentally dropping a color onto the editing background, I found I now had 2 backgrounds, but only the 1 "page background" layer.

Here is the example site: http://clients.kirk-interactive.com/bsc/index.htm

Notice how the page background sits on top of the "real" background.

Point being: how does the "new to me" editing desktop background work?

Default Re: WD6 Web Page Backgrounds

I think if you change the page color, but not the pasteboard color or texture, that the entire screen will be the page color.

That makes sense.And it looks like if I change the pasteboard color, both elements show up after export.

I was just curious as to whether there was a specific function that this served compared to how WD5 and XX did things...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfcoach View Post
    I was just curious as to whether there was a specific function that this served compared to how WD5 and XX did things...
    http://www.xara.com/uk/products/webdesigner/whatsnew/

Enhanced page color and background color support
    ​By default the website background color takes on the color of your page. The default is white, but you can change this by simply dragging any other color onto the page. But also if you drag a color onto the pasteboard area (the grey area surrounding the page) you can now create a different colored page surround, giving a more WYSIWYG result.

Ability to support rounded-corner pages, add drop shadows to the page and set the vertical offset
    ​If you enable page coloring (by dragging a color onto the pasteboard), then in the Page & Layer gallery a new Page Background layer is enabled, locked by default. If you unlock this layer you can adjust the page rectangle's soft shadow using the shadow tool, and also make it a rounded rectangle (using the rectangle Tool). This enables very easy rounded rectangle page backgrounds.

If you enable a page background this way you can adjust the vertical offset of the page relative to the top of the browser window by setting the ruler page origin.

WD6 Re: WD6 Web Page Backgrounds

Every time I drag an image on to my document, then open the bitmap gallery, select that image and then click the Background button nothing happens. I get no image appearing, no background change and no difference on export.

All I want to do is set an image as a tiled background for the whole page - am I just way off here, or what?

Try Ctrl+Drag'n'drop from the bitmap gallery to the page.

Let us know if that works for you?

Perfect. Thanks very much for the quick response!

Alas, now I face a new problem as the background shows exactly as I'd like in Xara but now exports and previews as white space.. any suggestions?

Post your .web file and we'll check rather than guess

Much appreciated, I just got it working. Seems I was using .png and it was giving the browser some issues. Saved as jpg and no problems.