Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question UPgrading computers

Hi to all.
    It is time to upgrade from a 5 year old single processor Windows XP computer. I ask your expert thoughts on which processor make we should be considering.

The primary software we use is Xara Pro 5, Corel Draw Suite X4, and Outlook. Somehow I'm not worried about the latter. I'm sure Microsoft will have that working just fine. <grin>

The high RAM, high performance computers all seem to be quad processor and about 8GB of memory.

My question concerns CPU. Should I go with AMD Phenom II or Intel socket 7? What I've read suggests Intel for sheer speed. My love of the underdog says AMD has the edge.

THanks for your help.

..Doug
    ...Doug

Default Re: UPgrading computers

Maximum PC have a good review here. Seems like the bottom line is that AMD aren't trying to compete on total performance, but on performance/cost ..... The question seems to be more like "How much are you willing to spend?"
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

THanks for the lead to the article. Much appreciated.

...Doug
    ...Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    The high RAM, high performance computers all seem to be quad processor and about 8GB of memory.
    Doug, if you're not going to run a 64 bit OS, there's no need in getting more than 3 Gigs of ram... 32 bit systems can only utilize 3 gigs (even though it may show that you have more installed). I've got a quad processor, but I don't notice an improvement over my dual core. That doesn't mean that there's no difference; I just didn't notice any!
    What's the difference between an Orange? A motorcycle, because a telephone pole doesn't have any doors!

Thanks to both for your thoughts and suggestions.
    The main computers (including AMD) on the market locally are 64 bit OS and offer a free upgrade to Win 7 when released.

Right now we lean toward the Intel iCore7 chips for their statistical speed. My heart remains with AMD though.

Does Xara make use of multi-tasking or multi-core CPUs? Or is it a lineal program?

Thanks again.

...Doug
    ...Doug

Only Xtreme Pro

http://www.xara.com/uk/products/xtreme/advanced/

Remember however it's still only a 32bit application. 32bit apps run in emulation mode.
    64bit OSes still have many driver issues (do not support 32bit drivers) and many AntiVirus software usually won't work.

Have a look here for more information about whether a 64bit version of Windows will really suit you.
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...c8a701033.mspx

Further reading:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946765
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 30 August 2009 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Added MS KB link

Thanks for the advice, Sledger. I will check it out right now.

...Doug
    ...Doug