Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: editing shapes

Default Re: editing shapes

Great video Egg!

This prompted me to play about with magnetic snapping. I found that a 20pix circle snaps perfectly to the corner of a rectangle. However I tried a larger 40pix circle but it doesn't work and I can't get it to center to the corner. I've tried a variety of different angles and changed the point and line settings on the Options>mouse tab....no joy?

What might I be doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Brad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snappy.gif 
Views:	208 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	63879   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snappy 2.gif 
Views:	206 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	63880  

I can't reproduce that Brad. See here.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

mmmmhhh...that's interesting. I'm going to have to get my magnifying glass out and investigate.

Thanks for taking the time out to produce the video Egg.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Found my Microphone.
    Thanks Egg.

What I've picked up this time around is the importance of the relative snapping distances between points and lines.

I believe that there is no universal solution to filleting corners, it depends on circumstances, but your method will cover 80% of my applications.

Incidentally, I find, using that method I often end up with three or four points rather than just two per corner. It works just as well if I delete the extra points and use convert to line then convert to curve.

Tony
    Last edited by tonylondon; 21 July 2009 at 08:44 AM.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Bradj2 View Post
    Great video Egg!

This prompted me to play about with magnetic snapping. I found that a 20pix circle snaps perfectly to the corner of a rectangle. However I tried a larger 40pix circle but it doesn't work and I can't get it to center to the corner. I've tried a variety of different angles and changed the point and line settings on the Options>mouse tab....no joy?

What might I be doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Brad
    I have similar problems - keeps snapping but when I examine all the points there aren't any that coincide. Even with the line snapping set to zero.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tonylondon
    Incidentally, I find, using that method I often end up with three or four points rather than just two per corner.
    When creating the circle, holding down Ctrl while dragging the radius will ensure that the control points are located with horizontal & vertical alignment with the center. Otherwise, you'll end up with one extra point on the arc (after Arrange > Combine shapes > Subtract shapes).

Smile Re: editing shapes

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    When creating the circle, holding down Ctrl while dragging the radius will ensure that the control points are located with horizontal & vertical alignment with the center. Otherwise, you'll end up with one extra point on the arc (after Arrange > Combine shapes > Subtract shapes).
    You are right about the reason - although I was pressing the Ctrl key I was dragging diagonally and so getting points at 45 degrees.

Works fine now on corners made up of horizontal and vertical lines.

Thanks
    Tony

The key to getting the circle to properly snap is to make sure that you've grabbed the magnetic center. The larger the circle, the more difficult it is to visually identify the center. The foolproof way is to watch the small gray magnet on the far right of the status line. When your cursor is within snap tolerance the magnet will rotate 45° counterclockwise and change color to red.

If the circle center doesn't snap to the vertex of another object, then it simply means that you failed to properly grab the circle's center. Note that even though you failed to grab the center of your circle, whatever point you did grab will still snap to the other shape/object's edges (just not a precise vertex ... nor to an object's center).

Name:	temp.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	63888  

Good call about the various ellipse creation methods and how each has differently distributed nodes.

Name:	gif.gif 
Views:	180 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	63892  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Cursor - I think you've hit the nail on the head about grabbing the magnetic center!. It's also working well for larger circles. I double click the circle, hover over the center and press F2 before moving

I feel the magnetism!
    Brad