Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Trouble making a simple text only rollover

I am actually having trouble making a simple text only rollover.

Main Layer:

Homepage About Order

MouseOver Layer:

Homepage About Order

I put them right on top of each other (each in its own layer).

I just want the text color to change - but for some reason I can't get this colored text to show up. I have no problem making rollover menus with rectangles and circles - quite easy. Maybe "text" only cannot be in a mouseover layer?

Any help is much appreciated!

Default Re: Trouble making a simple text only rollover

You actually want to set that in utilities / web properties / website

As Aridzone suggests, the answer is in the website-wide setting for text hyperlinks, found at Web Properties > Website (tab) MouseOver Color. Note that by default, the MouseOff and the MouseOver colors are identical. You must explicitly change them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_temp3.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	62452  

Since you just want simple text to reflect a mouse over state, as has been pointed out in the previous posts, you do not need to bother with the mouseoff and mouseover layers. This will work, of course, but simply changing the defaults for your site as pointed out, will do the trick.

Welcome to the Xara Web Design conference.

Thanks for the replies -this was much simpler than using a layer. I still found I needed to specifically set a "visitid color" - I actually didn't want a color for this at all but setting it to the default color did the trick.

The only problem I still have is some of my links are on a black background and some are on a white background. I was hoping to be able to have a set of colors for each - but this method only provides 1 set of colors.

Can someone verify if using rollover layers for text is supposed to work? I have 3 text links I would like to have darker rollover colors for that need to be different than the default interface.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Quote Originally Posted by mstam1616 View Post
    I am actually having trouble making a simple text only rollover
    ... have you grouped the text? If you group the text it will behave like any other object, and you can set what colour you like for the mouseover layer.

Quote Originally Posted by cristofa View Post
    ... have you grouped the text? If you group the text it will behave like any other object, and you can set what colour you like for the mouseover layer.
    I thought of that, but I thought if I grouped it ALL the menu items would change color at the same time - or are you suggesting group each text item with itself?

I will try both methods - thanks for the help!

From the Web Designer Help (Groups):
    Converting Text To Be A Graphic
    As mentioned above only a very limited number of fonts are available in web browsers. If you want to use a different font on a button or, say, as a heading, you can do this by ensuring it is converted to a graphic, and all you need to do is group the object to make this happen automatically. You can still edit the text inside the group, but groups are automatically converted into a graphic when the website is exported.
    Simply select the text, then Arrange > Group (Ctrl+G). This applies to any of the three text formats.

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    From the Web Designer Help (Groups):
    Converting Text To Be A Graphic
    As mentioned above only a very limited number of fonts are available in web browsers. If you want to use a different font on a button or, say, as a heading, you can do this by ensuring it is converted to a graphic, and all you need to do is group the object to make this happen automatically. You can still edit the text inside the group, but groups are automatically converted into a graphic when the website is exported.
    Simply select the text, then Arrange > Group (Ctrl+G). This applies to any of the three text formats.
    Hi- thanks for the info. Following this I can get it to work - but if I have more than 1 text item the entire mouseover layer gets displayed - so all the text gets highlighted not just the 1 piece of text my mouse is over. I have attached a sample - I am doing these in Xara Extreme 5.

If I simply need to use more layers that is fine - I just want to make sure I am not missing something - thanks again for the help!
    Attached Files Attached Files

mstam1616,

There's just one thing you need to do with this to make it work, but a number of things you should take note of in the way you have things linked and such.

1. You don't need to do anything on the "mouseover tab" of the web properties for all the objects on the Layer1 layer. You only need to do this if it is supposed to show a popup layer other than the mouseoff layer - the mouseoff is special and will show whatever is in the same place (within a margin of acceptable placement) on the mouseover layer as long as the item has a "link".

2. On the mouseover layer, you don't need to do your linking.

Here's what would actually make this work - RENAME the mousover layer to be spelled right (mouseover) - - since this is a special layer, the name needs to be right.

Hope that helps.