Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Boldness is, well not too bold!

Hi,

If I make some text bold with either Arial or Verdana font (that does have a bold attribute) it looks fine in XWD but as soon as I preview it in IE or FF it doesn't look anything like as bold!!

Any ideas?

Steve

Default Re: Boldness is, well not too bold!

Does it look more bold in pages produced with any other software?
    John.

When viewing it in XWD, are you viewing at 100% (or perhaps some greater magnification)?

Yes a page made with Dreamweaver and bold fonts is, well, bolder than the same thing made with XWD and yes the zoom view is only 100%.

At the moment I'm either putting a drop shadow on the text so that XWD exports it as an image or I create text in Photoshop and export it as a gif!

Not a big problem but the 100% view in XWD is definitely "bolder" than when previewed..?

A strange one!

Steve

If you want to export text as a graphic, all you have to do is to select it, then Arrange > Group (Ctrl+G). All groups are exported as graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by harrismail View Post
    Yes a page made with Dreamweaver and bold fonts is, well, bolder than the same thing made with XWD
    Can you provide an example of such HTML?
    or I create text in Photoshop and export it as a gif!
    Isn't it easier to group a text object in WD (it will be exported as image then)?
    Not a big problem but the 100% view in XWD is definitely "bolder" than when previewed..?
    This is because WD uses it's own text rendering engine.
    John.

I just noticed this warning in XWD when selecting a font but the fonts I chose were Arial and Verdana which both DO have bold attributes and bold variants!!

I'm puzzled

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xarawarning.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	61460  

Ok here in FF3 (and in IE Tab). No warning messages.

Name:	bold.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	61484  
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Did you use the drop-down menu for the bold? Might be the cause of the error message if you didn't ... though I can't replicate that here.

Name:	bold_2.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	61485  
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Thanks guys,

I think the warning box only shows if you select the text tool without selecting a text object and then you try to select the bold option for a font!

I suppose there is a difference on screen with the smaller size fonts between regular and bold but the boldness is definitely more pronounced in XWD preview than in IE or FF.

Thanks John for the tip about grouping text - I didn't realise you can "group" a single line of text ;-) so it exports as a png, although the resulting png is a bit large for just a line of text.

And the only reason I use Photoshop sometimes to create text is because there's no control over character spacing or tracking and kerning in XWD.

Steve