Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: LOST webpage

Default LOST webpage

I developed a webpage ... uploaded it and is working fine. Then I started a new website and saved it... I believe I over wrote the previous finshed one on my computer... I went to the website and downloaded the working version and tried to open it and it gave me an error and loaded the page but the graphics and layout was squashed. ... any suggestion... is it hopeful?

Default Re: LOST webpage

Don't you still have the original .web files?

1)Do you do backups to disk or external hard drive?

2)Did you make a .bak file with XaReg if not see here (you may want it)?:
    http://www.xaraxone.com/html/shareware.html

3)Did you do a File name search sometimes things mistakenly get added to the wrong folder.

4) Whenever I create something I ALWAYS create another file with the word copy added.

Hope this helps

What Paul and Aridzone are both saying is that Web Designer is not a HTML editor therefore it cannot open html web sites for editing.
    It's a graphical web designer application which *exports* your design to html.
    Unless you have saved your original .web project file, you will have to re create the site design in Web Designer.

Note that you can get a headstart by doing a File > Import graphics from web, and pointing to your website that is still functional.

Thanks everyone... I did a search for *.web and found the pages. In double checking everything I found caution, possible error in programming. Or it very well could be I am not aware of the procedure.

If you are developing more than one site at a time in different directories or the same one. In the window "Web Properties" under the "Publish" tab.. the site data remains the same no matter what site you are uploading. You have to change each time.

You all probably know this but it was a real awakening experience for me.

Anyway... I want to thank someone for a superb program and excellent resource help.

Thanks again
    Ron