Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Another day, another stupid issue

Actually two issues......

First I added an additional page to my XWD design. I had two pages now have three. naturally, I added a button to the nav bar and pointed the new button to the new page on the web properties/link tab dialog. Dropdown now shows <next page> <prev page> PLUS pages 1 2 and 3; like is should.

So button one points to page 1, button 2 to page 2, etc..... problem is that button 2 AND 3 now cause the new page to display even though that's not the way it's specified. I can no longer get to page two from my navbar even though all three buttons are set correctly in the web properties dialog.

Second problem..... (independent of the first??) create new layer on page three. drag a balloon from the design gallery on the new layer. Go into web properties for another object on the page and set mouseover tab to popup the new layer. In other words, I want the balloon to show ONLY when I roll the mouse over the other (placeholder) object. Nope...... Balloon shows at all times.

BTW, you can't drag the balloon from the design gallery DIRECTLY on the new layer. It INSISTS on going onto the mouseoff layer. I had to let it do that and then cut it from mouseoff layer and paste onto the new layer. Not a dealbreaker, but I think that stuff dragged from the design gallery should go onto the active layer. I can live with this, but think it's a bug.

Ya know, the concepts of this tool are fantastic. But either I'm stupid (highly likely) or there's much missing in the execution.

Thanks all...... especially you Mr. Taylor

Boo

Default Re: Another day, another stupid issue

To effectively diagnose the two problems, I think a copy of the .web file is needed.
    Thanks.

I see the same behavior, but maybe this will save you some time:

• Select the layer you want the balloon on by highlighting the name of the layer.
    • Drag the balloon onto the page.
    • Click the balloon (your mouse is already over it at this point)
    • Click the Move button just above the layers list, which will move the currently selected object to the active layer.

It's a little quicker than select, cut, select other layer, paste in place.

This little trick comes in handy when you've accidentally created a bunch of cool stuff on the wrong layer.

Your button dilemna sounds like you may have a lkink associated with another object that you didn't realize was there, such as having the right link on the mouseoff layer, but then having some different link on the corresponding object on the mouseover layer.

Does that help?

Quote Originally Posted by slavelle View Post
    Your button dilemna sounds like you may have a lkink associated with another object that you didn't realize was there, such as having the right link on the mouseoff layer, but then having some different link on the corresponding object on the mouseover layer.

Does that help?
    Yes, I got it all worked out. Problem with not going to the new page was page names had not been specified. With only two pages the first one defaults to index.htm, the second to .htm and that's OK. But when adding the third page it defaults to blanks and that caused a "no find" condition.

The only thing that seems to be still "hanging" is that if you select web properties for a placeholder, you can specify either a LINK or a MOUSEOVER, but not both. I had to remove the link property for the placeholder in order to get the balloon to not show all the time, but only during mousever. That's OK, I just put the link in the balloon itself.

Thanks Slavelle

Boo

Glad that you got it all worked out.

Is this what you want to do (that is still lacking)?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    Glad that you got it all worked out.

Is this what you want to do (that is still lacking)?
    No, but I found your small example (test.web) intriguing.

Here's what I could not make work. Draw rectangle and set to a placeholder. Now have a balloon popup when the mouse is OVER the placeholder. Finally if the mouse is CLICKED on the placeholder, link to another site.

For me, if I had both a link AND a mouseover action specified, then the balloon is always visible; not just when the mouse if over the PH.
    I removed the link reference, then the mouseover popup (the balloon) worked at expected.

If I can replicate the issue, I'll UL an example afterwhile.

Boo

"Draw rectangle and set to a placeholder"

Hmmm ... I don't think that I've ever used the Placeholder tab (from Web Properties). But I'm a really fast learner. Could you provide me with a simple example? If so, I'll spend some time in an effort to help you resolve your issues.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	placeholder.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	59932  

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    "Draw rectangle and set to a placeholder"

Hmmm ... I don't think that I've ever used the Placeholder tab (from Web Properties). But I'm a really fast learner. Could you provide me with a simple example? If so, I'll spend some time in an effort to help you resolve your issues.

OK, here ya go..... attached .web has placeholder (rectangle) with graphic attached. Also has LINK and MOUSEOVER parameters set in web properties.

Mouseover will NOT popup layer3 (as specified) while the link is ALSO specified. Remove link (set to do nothing) to other webpage and pop up layer works as it should when mouse is placed over placeholder.

Thanks for your interest
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hmm ... that is interesting. I can see why would want to do this combination of link/popup. I'll be curious to read what covoxer might have to say about it. Thanks for sharing.